View Poll Results: Do you hold a hand of playing cards with the high card on the left or on the right?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • High card on the left. (A, K, Q, J, 10)

5 14.29%
  • High card on the right. (10, J, Q, K, A)

21 60.00%
  • I don't really organize them at all (or I have my own goofy way of doing it).

5 14.29%
  • Playing card games is the DEVIL!

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing Cards: Hand Order

When playing any card game with a deck of standard playing cards, do you put your cards in order with the high card on the left (i.e. Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10), or on the right (i.e. 10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace)?

I know this is a strange and somewhat random poll, but I've been told my entire life that I hold my cards backwards (high card on the left), and I really want to know just how crazy I am. Does anyone else do this?
    -Mr. 3d

I guess it just depends on how your brain is thinking about it.

I think you'll find most people have the high card on the right, because they put the cards in counting order (4,5,6,7). However, if your thinking is that your high card is the most important, so it goes first, then you might be inclined to put it on the left.

I doubt it makes you win less hands though

I switch it up, because people tend to notice if you always pull your high cards from the right or left. So sometimes they are sorted by e. g. color or all the picturecards on one end and the number ones on the other end. Everything to confuse the opponent and don't become predictable.
    Last edited by Dragonclaw1988; 09-14-2009 at 08:03 AM.

I think it would be interesting to add a sub-question; left- or right-handed?

I hold them high card to the right, I'm left-handed...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_charisma View Post
    I think you'll find most people have the high card on the right, because they put the cards in counting order (4,5,6,7).
    actually, having read this it's probably correct

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

fatgav - I'm left handed too and one thing I have found is that cards in the States are designed for right handed people only.

My English cards have the number in all 4 corners of the card. American cards only have the number in the top left and bottom right hand corner.

So when I fan my cards out (clockwise from the top card) I cannot see any numbers.

(But I still like to have the highest number on the right)

i put high cards on left, more important in reading order
    check out my new start up!
    www.wolvesvslions.com

I always keep them shuffled cba with sorting them

Lowest card on the left side, highest on the right side, just like normal people do
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Quote Originally Posted by NinaCovington
    Hahahahaha! Yes!!!!! You are awesome, Clone!!!!

High value on the right for me.
    ..:: Martin "Cron-Z" Breault :: Multimedia Designer
    ..:: My NEW Blog :: Insomniac Games Forums Moderator ::..

[19:50] <Toastage> first you need to know the maya
    [19:50] <Toastage> you need to date the maya
    [19:50] <Toastage> you need to WOO THE MAYA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr3d_PHD View Post
    When playing any card game with a deck of standard playing cards, do you put your cards in order with the high card on the left (i.e. Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10), or on the right (i.e. 10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace)?

I know this is a strange and somewhat random poll, but I've been told my entire life that I hold my cards backwards (high card on the left), and I really want to know just how crazy I am. Does anyone else do this?
    Well there isn't anything wrong with it, the only reason why someone thinks its "backwards" is because they associate it with lefthanded people. Personally i have been known to do a little of both, but most of the time (pends on the game really) it comes to high cards on the right. But then again i have also been known for my odd way of using knives and forks (i find it more comfortable to hold them the opposite way)
    He listens well who takes notes
    - Dante Alighieri
    If you don't have anything good or constructive to say, just shut up!
    - Me
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.
    - Harrison Ford (1942 - ), as Indiana Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast