Can I add audio (wav & / or MIDI) without using XNA

I had a scout around but I couldn't find anything about implementing audio in C#, everything I could find was geared towards C++ or XNA coding... All I'd like to do currently is add some background ambience to my Hyperion text game (given the lack of visual interest inherent...)!

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

It is possible with SlimDX, which is covered in the new 3dbuzz XSP Series.

Quote Originally Posted by TF242 View Post
    It is possible with SlimDX, which is covered in the new 3dbuzz XSP Series.
    That's great but, Dude, I'm doing hyperion... I doubt I'm really ready for the extra study programme

I'll get googling slimDX tho'

Thanks, G

I found

SlimDX is just a library to allow for DirectSound access. Not an entirely separate program.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    SlimDX is just a library to allow for DirectSound access. Not an entirely separate program.
    Ah, I see... Thanks.

This does bring up my mixed view of VC##'s IDE; it's fantastically helpful (particularly compared to scripting in ManuScript using notepad...) but because I don't have an internet connection in my shed (yes, I spend 90% of my time in a shed ) the help documentation is completely broken. grrr, etc.

I found

I've had a look at the SlimDX site but the documentation page is timing out at the moment... I think I'm probably over-reaching though, given that I've only been studying this stuff for about 2 weeks; I was hoping it would simply involve knowing a couple of key snippets of C# to tell it, "here's a wav, play it when this happens", "stop it now", etc....

Hopefully soon I'll be able to afford the XNA extreme DVDs & I can really dig into this stuff (while it was just about workable for the one simple project, Member Sponsership sadly isn't going to be a viable option for that much studying, due to my previously mentioned convoluted internet access...).

As an aside; since starting on this project, I've come to the conclusion that, as much as I enjoy modelling, I'm just far too pedantic to ever make a career out of it. If a single edge is not chamfered, it eats away at me every time I work on that scene.
    Programming, on the other hand, seems to positively demand a certain amount of anal retention... I'm a little concerned though after listening to the 090909 buzzradio show about the comment towards the end that, if you want to work in programming, a comp sci degree is a must-have... I realise my BMus isn't going to count for me, but I had kinda assumed that some sort of equivalent to a showreel would be a possible route in...
    If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be keen to hear them...
    Last edited by fatgav; 09-10-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling

I found

System.Media.SoundPlayer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...r_members.aspx

The pain is you can only play .wav files in it. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by fatgav View Post
    ...if you want to work in programming, a comp sci degree is a must-have...
    lulz... completely untrue. I'm 22, don't have a degree and make more money programming than my parents make (they're middle income). I have a friend who's younger than me (by a few months), no degree, and makes nearly double what I make ... programming. A lot of my past and present coworkers are in the same boat.

It's not the degree that counts. It might give you more interviews but professional networking has gotten me more jobs (and potential jobs/gigs) than a degree ever will. The thing about networking that's great is it works when you're not. That is, in order for me to get a job using the degree, I'd have to fill out a resume and send it in. With networking, friends and coworkers just tell me about opportunities they're too busy to take up on. Then they tell the lead "I'm too busy but I know this great developer that'll make your wildest dreams come true"... or whatever.

The "hard" part is landing the first job. For me, it wasn't too difficult because my friend got me an interview. After the first job, experience and networking dictate (and, of course, how well you sell yourself).

Quote Originally Posted by Olson.dev View Post
    lulz... completely untrue.
    The "hard" part is landing the first job. For me, it wasn't too difficult because my friend got me an interview. After the first job, experience and networking dictate (and, of course, how well you sell yourself).
    Yep, it's all in the networking.
    I've got no official accreditation's, but can show the knowledge I've learned and the work I've created on my own (and with 3DBuzz's help I must add).