Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Hazdaz~ View Post

The whole 2 days or 6 months thing is rather naive... so you are saying that if something went wrong on some supposed Moon base we could get there in 2 days and save the people or fix the problem? Do you think we simply have a few back-up rockets that we could launch on a moment's notice when the Moon days dials 9-1-1?? Yeah, I don't think so - things don't work that way. If there is a catastrophic problem you're dead, be it 2 days or 6 months away.
    How is it naive to think that it could be a malfunction that could be fixed within a certain amount of time. Not only that but the costs of shipping equipment to the moon vs mars is the another hurdle in itself. Realistically Mars will happen generations from now and the moon could happen by 2020. It is like trying to run before you even know how to walk. Sure Captain Kirk shows about the voyage to Mars are inspiring but unrealistic as well.
    Niche Website Strategy : Website Marketing Strategy Plan, Seo Articles, Back-Linking, Keyword Research, and Video Tutorials.

@Hazdaz... go watch Apollo 13 or read about it. There are time constraints on getting people back safely.

We don't have the technology to currently get to Mars effectively, and we're not likely to ever unless we invest in research for propulsion systems for interplanetary travel.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    This is such an ignorant myth that it's unbelievable that people still spout it out.

Simple fact, if there is over population in a region or locale, then the population will start to diminish as that population can no longer be supported. The world, in general, is not overpopulated. Instead, we have extremely densely populated areas. But again, the world is not overpopulated as the population is still on the rise.

Also, I think people need to be re-educated on the technological advances that we have today because of the early space program. Do you really think we'd have made the same technological breakthroughs that we have today without it? For instance, take any satellite based technology and get rid of it.
    True its only on a local scale, but without the space program that would eventually mean on a grand scale too. The earth can only support a certain limit of life and we aren't the only inhabitants on this planet even if we act like it. Eventually we will have to face this problem and it will come to two solutions one being space travel and relocation and the other being a legal limit and monitored birth growth.

As for satellites, whats so wrong about them if i may ask?
    He listens well who takes notes
    - Dante Alighieri
    If you don't have anything good or constructive to say, just shut up!
    - Me
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.
    - Harrison Ford (1942 - ), as Indiana Jones

Do you really think we'd have made the same technological breakthroughs that we have today without it? For instance, take any satellite based technology and get rid of it.
    What I got from it was not the point of something being wrong with them. But without the trip to the moon and the technological breakthroughs that came along with it, we would not have come so far in satellite based technology.
    Niche Website Strategy : Website Marketing Strategy Plan, Seo Articles, Back-Linking, Keyword Research, and Video Tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDemigod View Post
    Actually the panel is a bunch of Democrats. Republicans are typically the ones interested in the space program, especially since it's Republican states and counties that employ all the space workers.
    Well, this slightly shakens my point of view, I guess

Nevertheless, I am personaly for Moon base before Mars landings. Let robots and all those probes work there, no need to hurry for man. And of course Moon base will be astronomically expensive. Wars are also expensive although looks like they do bring profits to someone after all. Other wise they wouldn't be so "popular" and countless.

What came into my head - can any of you, CG artists, imagine yourselves sitting and doing same your work at the Moon base ? What a strange thought, why it even appeared in my mind.
    Ok, max is loaded, i back to my work

Quote Originally Posted by scotman View Post
    What I got from it was not the point of something being wrong with them. But without the trip to the moon and the technological breakthroughs that came along with it, we would not have come so far in satellite based technology.
    Ah, just a little poor choice of words. Ah well then i get it
    - Dante Alighieri
    - Me

Quote Originally Posted by kashak View Post
    Well, this slightly shakens my point of view, I guess

Nevertheless, I am personally for Moon base before Mars landings. Let robots and all those probes work there, no need to hurry for man. And of course Moon base will be astronomically expensive. Wars are also expensive although looks like they do bring profits to someone after all. Other wise they wouldn't be so "popular" and countless.

What came into my head - can any of you, CG artists, imagine yourselves sitting and doing same your work at the Moon base ? What a strange thought, why it even appeared in my mind.
    Ok, max is loaded, i back to my work
    I agree that the moon should come first, but i also see the reason why they picked mars as the more important target. What the moon lacks is not just size and gravity, it also lacks many other components needed to sustain life like a viable magnetosphere to shield it from the sun. Mars by being farther away might be colder than earth, but it has a planetary body more capable of supporting life because of its obvious similarities with earth.
    As for today, scientist have actually claimed that we are able to terraform it (in theory of course and yes by using todays technology) but the process would cost to much for anyone to try. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
    Which boils down to what i have been saying for a while now that the monetary system is a big waste of not only paper and metal, but resources altogether.
    - Dante Alighieri
    - Me

I never heard before of such project - Mars terraforming. It's goddamn crazy and awesome!
    Although sad fact comes unsurprisingly - "at present the economic resources required to execute such methods are far beyond that which any government or society is willing to allocate." Project Venus must go on

What they should do is start up a new competitor to NASA, get new investors colllect the capital to fund the venture, then lease or buy the resources from NASA to get it done quickly. I remember hearing back in 98 that NASA has warehouses of stuff that they have built over the years but never used it because of red tape....now much of it is obsolete....

They could always call the new company NUTSA

Quote Originally Posted by rkg456 View Post
    What they should do is start up a new competitor to NASA, get new investors colllect the capital to fund the venture, then lease or buy the resources from NASA to get it done quickly. I remember hearing back in 98 that NASA has warehouses of stuff that they have built over the years but never used it because of red tape....now much of it is obsolete....

They could always call the new company NUTSA
    I'd like to see a globalized "World Space Agency" myself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast