Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dave@ny Guest

Gamestop ....GRRRR!

So, I am never one to complain much. Especially when it comes to retail employees as I once worked it in high school and know they put up with a lot of crap.

But, the Gamestop in my hometown really ticked me off this weekend. My mother was up from Florida for a little vacation before my kids went back to school. She took them all shopping and my wife and mother picked up a new PSP for my son as he has the original and wanted to upgrade.

They bought him the new Final Fantasy bundle with the PSP 3000. He decided after he saw it, that he would rather wait a few weeks and pick up the PSP go instead. So, he gave the unopened bundle to my wife to return to gamestop. Not a problem--so far.

My wife gets to Gamestop yesterday and hands the bundle over the the guy behind the counter with her receipt. He proceeds to take a box cutter out and slice all three of the seals on the box and open box and rummage through it. A minute or so later he tells my wife, who has been standing there watching the whole thing--that there is a thumb print on the screen of the PSP and that the case is missing.

Now unless my wife pulled over on the way to the store and played a little FF on the way, this guy is totally full of BS. Especially considering she hates all form of video games. Not to mention, there is no case included with this version of the psp as I called and double checked. Fact is, all contents inside the box are clearly printed on the outside of the box right down to the wires.

Now, I am totally screwed as he opened a new product that is now considered used and it wasnt cheap--$250.

I am livid as I have been going to this store for 20 years and never had a problem.

Just a little venting. I myself will be making a trip down to pay a visit to this person when he works next. My wife has very little backbone and is afraid to speak her mind. I however, am not~ In the meantime, I have left a message with the stores DM. If that does not solve the problem. I will go to the next person up the chain.

Wow, thats bad. Be sure to take it further.
    [quote][\quote]

Gamestop opens stuff and reseals it all the time and sells it as 'new.' It's well documented. Check into it.

Dave@ny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aboveAverage View Post
    Gamestop opens stuff and reseals it all the time and sells it as 'new.' It's well documented. Check into it.
    Yes, I have done a little online research into Gamestop's "practices" and you are correct. Thing is, he opened and claimed it was used prior to his opening--thus making it impossible to refund.

Yeah, but it's possible it was opened before it initially left Gamestop, right? And when he opened it in front of your wife, he was reopening it. That's what I would contend.

I dunno maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe you can agree on a re-stocking fee. Like 10-15% or something.

But I'd stick to my guns if you never opened it.
    Last edited by aboveAverage; 09-12-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Dave@ny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aboveAverage View Post
    Yeah, but it's possible it was opened before it initially left Gamestop, right?

I dunno maybe I'm missing something.
    That is entirely possible, it was sealed when we bought it and never opened. So, yes--Gamestop could have very well opened it and resealed, then resold it to us.

In any case, it was sealed, with an official seal (either gamestops or sony's) and that's all that matters. There's a date and time stamp on the receipt. If the guy behind the counter wanted to open it up and inspect that the contents are there, that's fine. Other than that, he should of given the money back. If he didn't know that a case wasn't included with that model (and obviously can't read the back of the box to find out) he shouldn't of opened it. And I'll bet that the fingerprint is his.

So make a big of a stink about it as you need to in order to get your money back.....even if you have to call the local better business bureau, or go to small claims court. Call and email everyone you can.

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    dunno where your from but if you have something like trading standards, i would get in touch with them

Definitely talk to the store manager about the issue. If that doesn't work, ask for the name and contact information of their district manager. If that doesn't work, and you really want to piss them off, take pictures of the opened box w/receipt. Send them and a writeup of your story to all the major gaming sites (Kotaku, ShackNews, Joystiq, Destructoid, IGN, EnGadget) as well as Consumer Reports. That kind of press usually gets someone's attention at corporate HQ.

Doesn't those seals usually leave a trace where they have been ripped either by ripping the cardboard box a little or by the seal in effect being ripped in half?
    That alone should have been the proof for the dude unless he was paranoid enough to think that your wife had access to that kind of things and would go through all that trouble for a casing (even though the box said it wasn't there to begin with)
    And while i am at it, just how old was this guy? My guess is by the sound of it was that it was a teenager or something or at least someone not even 25 years old and still a little wet behind the ears.
    He listens well who takes notes
    - Dante Alighieri
    If you don't have anything good or constructive to say, just shut up!
    - Me
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.
    - Harrison Ford (1942 - ), as Indiana Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast