Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Terminator Endoskeleton

Hi, my latest project is the T-800 endoskeleton from the Terminator films; hopefully I will eventually use it in an illustration or something.

I've been working on it for about 2 months in 3DS Max using sub-D modelling techniques and have so far rigged the legs and forearm, the upper arm is proving a bit of a pain to do so I'm still experimenting with IK solutions.

Heres some closeups of the figure so far.

An animation of the fully rigged forearm can be seen here.

Total poly count is just over 2.1 million when rendered at Turbosmooth level 2 which is suitable for extreme closeups.

Any Cs&Cs are welcome!

Some of the edges (especially around the chest area) are kind of sharp. Other than that I can't wait to see the finalized version. BTW, I'm curious to how you're modeling it. Using reference images and modeling by eye or are you using schematics.
    Rico - VFX Artist in training
    USA: Kansas: Kansas City = (GMT -6:00) (CST)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crafton View Post
    Superb!!!!
    Can I be the first to second that!

Great work. I liked the arm test looks good.

~Joe
    Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow
    My New Site MayaFx.com

Thanks for the support everyone! In answer to your question Rico, I'm using 3DS Max and using standard poly modelling techiques to get shapes from cylinders and cubes or a combo of both. For the chest and pelvis however I modelled using edge loops. I rough out the shape, then stick a turbosmooth into the modifier stack and then refine it further, add cuts into the surface and add chamfers. Originally I wasn't going for such a high detailed finish which is why the chest is still a bit sharp as it hasn't been finished.

I'm using an 18" model as my primary reference for shape and proportions and then googling images of the endoskeleton for use in more detailed areas such as the forearm and hands which aren't as detailed on my model as they are in the films.

A quick update

I've spent a few days completing the back of the torso and smoothing out the shoulder area, work on the head will start very soon...

Last edited by Rich-M; 08-25-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Updated image

This is looking absolutely amazing! I'm *really* looking forward to how you tackle the head!!

HOLY CHEESE!!!

AMAZING

I've always wondered if the terminator endoskeloton would be able to move autonomously and realistically? Its so convincing.

Maybe someone should build it?

Stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Cheese View Post
    HOLY CHEESE!!!

AMAZING

I've always wondered if the terminator endoskeloton would be able to move autonomously and realistically? Its so convincing.

Maybe someone should build it?
    Look out, someone might come back in time and kill you before you prompted the idea xD

Model is looks amazing!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast