Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by shaft_117 View Post
    Love the model man, sublime work!

How have you done the lighting for your model and what are the render times like?
    Thanks, to answer your questions, the lighting is a couple of red lights placed in front of the eyes and a single blue spotlight above the head (The reflections are created using some luminous planes in an otherwise empty environment). Render time on a 3.2GHz Q6600 with 4GB RAM using Mental Ray and High FG settings with 16-64 Samples per pixel takes just over 30 mins for a frame at 1080p. An AO Pass takes 7 minutes.

Sweet ... Thanks for the info ... So did you use mental ray for the clay renders ... I have been doing some models ... but get tripped up in the lighting department.

I was doing a model of a Warhammer 40K Space marine drop pod, and the only way I could get any good lighting results was by using a skylight with shadows enabled with two omni lights ... And that took half an hour as it was to render out which started to get annoying. Same thing happened with my Bomb Disposal Robot
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600, 1066FSB - 6Gb 1066MHz DDR2 Ram - nVidia 512Mb 9800 GT

Evil Eyes V2

For the last few days I've mainly been resizing things and working on the Evil Eyes render. Unforunately because of modifications to the head its not possible to get the same reflections with the new skull so I've spent hours trying to get a straight render with OK reflections. Its been a real pain doing this as I'm still just using luminous planes so they sometimes ended up looking really bad with corners sticking out and warping on the surface in horrible ways. I've settled with a layout for the moment which can be seen below with the old render...

Awesome model! I will give my input for improvement if you kinda allow.

-Some of the edges need more rounding... like along the jaw-line. I always remember the terminator as being more round... like a human figure.

-The skeleton is too shiny. With that kind of shininess it should be a limited edition skeleton.

Other than that... cool model. I like it.
    Rico - VFX Artist in training
    USA: Kansas: Kansas City = (GMT -6:00) (CST)

Lightbulb A Big Update

A lot's happened since the last update; I optimised the model to less that half its original size (discovering all the horrible mistakes I'd made by using a lot of turbosmooth and edge chamfering.I then unwrapped the upper body, learned how to rig the figure in Maya and developed a rendering pipeline to make compositing easier for when I finally get round to creating an image.

Here's an image I made ages ago to test the chrome shader and HDR lighting along with grading and compositing in After Effects.

The skulll unwrapped and with normal maps.

A comparison between the Skull topology and an early render...

And an mage created just to test render layers and the render/compositing workflow in After Effects....

And a test pose from different angles

Just amazing work, Sir

...seriously; I've seen far less convincing work in A-list movies - excellent!

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

That is 23 kinds of impressive.

By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. --Socrates

Wow... wow .... WOW!

I'm seriously gob-smacked at the level of quality.

stunning!!!! very inspiring work!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234