Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swann View Post
    To be fair I'm to suprised that they don't make tuts for MAX. It has biggest user base, so there is big demand. I don't know any other application that is used so extensively not only for effects, animation but also architecture.
    They have, they sold poorly. Go figure.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Not to mention all the rigging that is going on in the ADP class.
    A whole different animal. And I would know.

And... like Steve said "If you liked the rigging we did in Houdini... oh man, you'll totally dig this (and would still stand to benefit from it... it's something that could be fairly easily adapted to Houdini, I believe)." So why can't the Maya users benefit from the Houdini rigging videos that have already been created?
    The short answer is that Houdini is the package with the highly versatile architecture. There are things you can do in Houdini that you just can't do anywhere else. Period.

So check this... maybe if there were more Houdini content than there would be a higher demand for Houdini content.
    Many are the days that I have wished this mentality was true. It's never that simple. And even if it was, it would not be a thing that would take place quickly enough justify on our end as a small business. What is easy to forget is that we're not a massive corporation. What you're proposing is a lot larger scale than you think, if you were actually serious about seeing anything like a result. And even then, it's the kind of thing that would generally take a passing generation of artists to really take hold.

And that's not to say it's not already happening. It is, however, to say that if we put our entire lot into that basket, we wouldn't be around long enough to see the end result.

Look, folks, it's fine to disagree. No one's upset with you. I do not expect anyone who's never tried to run and maintain and grow a company like this to have any inkling of understanding.

To be fair I'm to suprised that they don't make tuts for MAX. It has biggest user base, so there is big demand.
    Not as much as you may think. When comparing sales figures for the Max Fundamentals with the Maya Fundamentals Maya wins hands down. This has been discussed here before and on the radio shows so I rather not go down that road again. I have no inside knowledge. I am just basing this on what they have said in the past.

My view is this: It is very obvious that they think very hard about what they have done and what they want and need to do in the future. They have the numbers on not only their sales but what people are watching on the site. Not only that they are watching what else is happening out there in training material and what people are using. They know they have to balance putting money in the bank and pushing the training envelope. At the end of the day though bills need to be paid and food put on the table.

It is not as if they are making things up on the fly. I know it can look that way from the view point of the forums and radio show but I assure you that is not what is going on. Buzz did not wake up one morning and announced, "Hell lets move Steve over to Maya and see what happens."
    Last edited by benmcl; 08-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

People have been asking for the Maya Technical Rigging DVD as long as I've been here and probably long before. I think it will do well for the company.

People have been asking for the Maya Technical Rigging DVD as long as I've been here and probably long before. I think it will do well for the company.
    Good point AA. (Ben shakes head not believing he just wrote that.)
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

There are many videos on virtually EVERY topic out there, I guarantee you (for Maya). So... Gnomon, Digital Tutors and... well other websites already have plenty of videos on character rigging for Maya. Not to mention all the rigging that is going on in the ADP class.
    Oh come on, Rico! I had figured that you of ALL people would know us better than that!

I can assure you that there is not a single training video available today ANYWHERE that covers what we’ve got in store for you in the upcoming Maya 2010 technical character series. Nothing out there even comes close. Nobody teaches techniques like this, primarily because this level of development is typically reserved (and carefully hidden away) for proprietary studio use.

This is not just about rigging. You’re right, there are a lot of rigging videos out there. This is about rigging pipeline development. It’s about a new way to work with, design, and develop high-end rig setups for a wide variety of projects.

It is about a new way to design, implement, deploy and use rigs. It's about making a TD's life easier, and animators happier by offering more flexibility than they've ever had before.

Steve and I have been working extensively on ironing out all of the concepts behind each of the various systems in this project, and as always, Steve has done an incredible job putting it all together.

These are not going to be your typical “create joint, add IK, create controls” rigging videos. These will be highly technical tutorials with a great deal of programming and careful implementation.

You can say all you want about being tired of seeing “Maya this and Maya that.” There isn’t a person on the planet who’s ever seen THIS before. Not for ANY application.

.... cocktails and uncooked biscuits anyone?
    I'm in! I can use a brutally strong cocktail right about now.

Jason

I love Houdini but I'm like the ADP stuff (even though I don't have Maya). If the Maya PLE wasn't limited to 30-days I'd be very happy... I'd even pay for a legit PLE copy like Side Effect did with the HD Apprentice.

I just love learning.

VK

Looking forward to seeing more info on this "Maya 2010 technical character series".
    //

For the people back home what if any, is your job description at '3DBuzz'?
    It used to be director of 'Houdini' education, but I'm working on 'Maya' content at the moment.

I'm also very disappointed about that fact, that nothing new will be there for houdini user's. A user cannot dictate what a company has to or not and for sure if you have to feed a greater demand from people who uses another software thats ok.

I've lost the trust concerning your states. In the last 3 or 4 month there are some hints of an upcoming houdini shading/rendering kit on the forum. also i have send a message to steve who also states in that direction. ok no detailed explanation but the message was clear that something is in work.

I think for a professional company it is very dangerous to state something out and than bang we choose another way to go.

I have all houdini titles and I'm a big fan of your trainings even if sometimes I cannot see the whiteboard anymore :-)

I hope you guys at 3dbuzz understand my standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Look, folks, it's fine to disagree. No one's upset with you. I do not expect anyone who's never tried to run and maintain and grow a company like this to have any inkling of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by busbyj View Post
    I'm in! I can use a brutally strong cocktail right about now.
    Buzz and Zak,

Thanks for being good sports. It's just nice to hear what you all have to say every once in a while. Just another mentos moment for me.
    Last edited by Rico; 08-14-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Rico - VFX Artist in training
    USA: Kansas: Kansas City = (GMT -6:00) (CST)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast