Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to comment. I do appreciate it

However; from reading the above, I get the feeling that I clearly wasn't as clear as I thought I'd been. The purpose of these anims is as follows:

1: To narrow down the placement of the principle sections of the car (bodywork, lights & windows, basically) around the robot's body.

2: To ensure that each car part can get to where it needs to go without intersecting with anything else.

3: To ensure that each car part can get to where it needs to go in a logical way. I'm not going to accept things disappearing from somewhere & reappearing somewhere else, or pieces just flying around like a David Copperfield routine. In the end, I will only be happy to view this as a successful project once everything is visibly linked with struts & hinges, ball joints, pistons, etc. Even watching Transformers aged 7 (as I was in 1984...arrrgh; old, old me!) the whereabouts of Prime's trailer bothered me...

3a: This means finding out what order things need to happen in (e.g. the back lights need to get out of the way for the boot area to unfold...) & which bits can move independantly of one another (...but the boot section doesn't affect how the arms extend 'cause it's too far away.).

That is why these anims are so slow & why there is no environment. I haven't opened the curve editor at all. I could scale time to 10% and get a 3 second transformation. In the end that's almost certainly what I'll do. But what's the point in doing that now? I'd get a very low quality video of 20% of my model (most of which is made up of low-poly placeholders, anyway) whizzing around briefly. That would serve no purpose, i.m.o..

...Woah; I went off on one there. End of rant...Start of update

I ended up doing some more last night 'cause I couldn't sleep. All three vids show the same thing, just different angles. Also, they are a perfect example of how some things are in my head still! I'm fairly certain that the hips and torso will come together as shown (ie. 90 degree torso rtoation about the hips, 180 degree hip rotation, and then compression of a piston to bring them together) but as yet I don't know whether the piston between them will be part of the car (driveshaft maybe? maybe) or a visible part of the robot (e.g. the sides of the ribcage) or some random "hi-tech" piston arrangement to fill a gap...

Anyway, here're the vids:

Bye for now, G.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

OK I'm tired now

Long day but I got a fair bit done. I've chopped the front of the car up a bit more and moved the middle to give freer range of movement to the arm. Also moved the front wheels to the hips 'cause I thought it was looking a bit too "Bumblebee".

OK,OK, I've made him spin... especially for AboveAverage
    Actually I needed to make the waist rotate 180deg, rather than the torso, so that he was facing the same direction in car & robot forms. A lack of concentration whilst doing that left him upside down with his feet in the air, so I kept it & turned it into a forward roll.

Here're the vids; front & rear views of the same thing...

That's it for today. Beer, bed.

G.

I found

I just want to make it clear that I totally understand why the animation is proceeding as it is.

I was just suggesting where to go with it when you figure where everything is going to end up.

Sorry if my post came across that way.

@AA: Not at all, no problem... I appreciate you posting at all! My sense of humour doesn't come across very well in writing (...or talking, for that matter...). Also I shouldn't post when I'm only just out of bed - not a morning person, me.

Cheers & beers, G.

BTW I've got to ask; Is the infamous rep some sort of quest you're on, or an honorary thing or what?

I found

Quote Originally Posted by fatgav View Post
    BTW I've got to ask; Is the infamous rep some sort of quest you're on, or an honorary thing or what?
    I imagine it to be a warning of sorts. Like a bio-hazard sign.

OK, so I didn't spend as much time on this over the weekend as I have been but I did manage to finish sorting out the major geometry attachments & fire off a couple of renders - the one below took about 6hrs to render @ 1280x1024

The next one is a first thought for some foot parts (no final gather on this one...)

I'm uploading some vids at the moment & I'll post those shortly.

Cs & Cs please

Cheers, G.

I found

Much better sky, it kinda looks like an advertising poster, all you need now is some text in the top left I like the contrast between the brown and the green.

The animations are interesting.
    Scott Moncrieff: Graduate: HND Interactive Multimedia Creation
    Maxon Cinema 4D R11.5 XL + Mograph 2 + Hair |Adobe Production Studio/Photoshop CS6

@Scott: Thx Yah, I think the "brown" (...it's meant to be brass ) works well; I'm veering towards steel for the largest robot parts & brass for the smaller ones to contrast + whatever is needed for random greebles...

Anyhow; after an age waiting for them to upload, here's the vids of where I'm at... 2 each of front & back - with & without the bodywork & windows.

I'm going to have to do a load more modeling before I start working on the rigging proper but at least I've got a good(ish) idea of how it's going to come together.

BFN, G.

I found

A big hand

Here's a hand...

...any thoughts?

Cheers, G.

Oh, just noticed; the black strips at the ends of the fingers should be green like the rest of the fingers

I found

looks good but this terrible background picture isnt needed. just distracting from the model
    check out my new start up!
    www.wolvesvslions.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast