New York recycles old structures into new gardens

In downtown Manhattan, they were attempting to destroy an elevated railway that used to allow trains to go whipping by at high speeds. But two locals thought it would be a neat prospect to keep the elevated railway, and turn it into a long walkway/garden.

Great news for New Yorkers and design fans alike: After years of wrangling, delays, and uncertainties, the High Line, an astonishing urban park built upon the remnants of an abandoned stretch of elevated railway, is opening tomorrow. Fast Company was at the preview, and here, we bring you the first images of the completed park.

It was a long shot from the outset: In 1999, two locals--Joshua David, a writer, and Robert Hammond, a painter--quailed at the prospect of the massive old railway structure being torn down by hungry developers. They lobbied the city to instead turn its surface into a park along the western fringe of the Chelsea neighborhood, some two stories above the street. Ultimately, they succeeded: The park itself is remarkably designed, with architecture by Diller Scofidio + Renfro, and landscape architecture by Field Operations. But it's still a work in progress: So far, only a 2.8 acre stretch of the park has been completed, corresponding with the blocks between Gansevoort and 20th street. A second phase, between 20th street and 30th street, will begin construction in a few weeks, with completion slated for 2010. Together, those two sections will cost $152 million. A third, final section has yet to be developed. And the Whitney Museum is slated to open a new downtown branch below the first portion as well.

So what was the most difficult part of pulling off such a bold reinvention? According to Matthew Johnson, the architect at DS+R who managed the project, it was figuring out exactly the balance of concrete and landscape. "Basically, the balance between people and plants," he says. "At some portions the landscape takes over. At others, like the downtown entrance, it recedes to make way for public space."

It never really sinks that you're two stories up...until you peer over the ledge and see cars whizzing by below

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/clif...pens-manhattan

Click the link to check out the rest of the images of this awesome Garden.
    up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start.

I didn't want to flood the post with too many pics, but this is just too cool.

These Chaise Lounges are set upon the old Railways, allowing you to move them a few inches in either direction to get either closer or further away from the person you are sitting next too. Simple design, but a great idea.
    up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start.

Very cool. I'll have to check it out if I ever go to Manhattan.
    The spice must flow.

That is pretty damn cool.

very nice. never been but im happier the done this instead of ripping it down.

That is a very good idea... and it looks very nice.
    Yes there are spelling mistakes in my threads, and yes I am oldernuff to know better...

Wow! (Just hope it stays in that good of a condition.)
    Put the stuff in the stuff n stuff.
    I drive the "There's a radio in my fingernail...CAR!"
    What page of The List are you on?
    I have been confuzzled!
    There is something there! Yes, but we don't know what that something is.
    Oooh! Look at my pretty desktop. I dont' care what you think, I think it's pretty.
    I want Zak's hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <Something> Darn it captain! I'm a Maya user, not a doctor.
    I eat at Taco McBurger in the Box!
    Cardboard Box Transforme Time!