Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Android App Scans DVD Bar Codes, Starts BitTorrent Download

From the impossibly bad idea files.

Android application developer Alex Holmes is creating a simple and powerful new way to get your pirated videos: an application that uses your cellphone's built in camera to scan a DVD bar code, then starts the movie downloading onto your home computer.

Called "Torrent Droid," the program means consumers who spot a DVD they like at the local Walmart will no longer have to choose between the instant gratification of buying it on the spot, and the frugal -- albeit illegal -- alternative of grabbing it from BitTorrent.

"I could feel bad about creating a tool that could be used for piracy," says the 23-year-old Holmes, a Bournemouth University software systems student. "However if I didn't create the tool, someone else would have."

After scanning the UPC on the DVD's packaging, the program looks up the number in a database to get the title. Then it automatically runs a search on your favorite torrent site.

Select the torrent of your choice, and Torrent Droid sends it to your home computer, assuming your PC is running uTorrent with a web interface. If your broadband connection is fast and the checkout line slow, your movie will be waiting for you when you get home.

Holmes says the program will be for sale on his website, Zerofate, in about a month.
    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...-get-free.html

Future Headline "Alex Holmes sued by everyone, ever!"
    up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start.

a tool that could be used for piracy
    Could be? It seems that is it's only function.
    The spice must flow.

Going into it knowing that the app can and likely will be used for illegal purposes? That's a suin'!

OK, this is an incredibly cool idea. It's just a shame it uses bit torrent and not some legitimate service. What if instead of using bit torrent it ordered the dvd through NetFlix or Amazon or something.

Holmes says the program will be for sale on his website, Zerofate, in about a month.
    Ok, so he supports piracy but isn't willing to give his product for free?
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problem just with potatoes."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFalafel View Post
    Ok, so he supports piracy but isn't willing to give his product for free?
    And now you understand the true hypocrisy of pirates.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by mr_charisma View Post
    OK, this is an incredibly cool idea. It's just a shame it uses bit torrent and not some legitimate service. What if instead of using bit torrent it ordered the dvd through NetFlix or Amazon or something.
    For thinking outside the box I shall give you some rep (if that means something to you), well done!

I hate spammers of all kinds .
    My last.fm profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren Akula View Post
    Could be? It seems that is it's only function.
    I was thinking that exact same thing.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

it seems as if he doesn't want it to be used for piracy, but that is it's only function, and as a result, he hasn't given another option.... So, in his lawsuit, he can say, "I would have liked that my app was not used for piracy, but I'm sorry that it has."

Quote Originally Posted by bleda_meone View Post
    it seems as if he doesn't want it to be used for piracy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes
    "However if I didn't create the tool, someone else would have."
    Yeah, that just leaps out to me as him not wanting it to be used for piracy.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast