Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fellow Bournemouth University student? I'm so ashamed....

He's just askin' for a suin'

And I agree, adapting it for legal reasons... for example, finding the DVD on Amazon (or even a customised search page of all your favourite online stores) would be awesome... although it's not that hard to search for DVDs... if it makes life that little bit easier

Steve

If only companies would adopt bittorrent, they could make a boatload of stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_charisma View Post
    OK, this is an incredibly cool idea. It's just a shame it uses bit torrent and not some legitimate service. What if instead of using bit torrent it ordered the dvd through NetFlix or Amazon or something.
    Yeah, but why not buying it in the store at the first place if you're already there and have the product in front of your nose. I think the app should scan the code, then connect to a database and output on Google Maps or something if there's a store around the corner with the same product for a lower price.

lol why would a pirate go to a shop, to later down load it from the net ? .. just me or there is a breach in the logic and critical thinking ?

the use of this technology would be go to a shop scan the barcode Ex on a TV then compare the prices with other TV in the same class, or just when shoping you scan the food and then send the info over shops Wlan to the cash registre.. there are many uses
    but for piracy that must be the most ineficient tool that there is.

i believe that the ones who wrote the article could have said " THE PEN " new Pirate tool that writes down the barcode, then later on the user goes to the TPB to download an old movie and all ppl that would not know better would scream OMG so terrible

This is strictly for pirating and that is the way he wants it. No other way to read it. This app is for people that may be shopping for whatever, sees the DVD and decides to steal it.

That is what it is designed for, nothing else.

This is not for your pirates that just collects stuff. More for your casual person that sees something interesting.
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by benmcl View Post
    This is strictly for pirating and that is the way he wants it. No other way to read it. This app is for people that may be shopping for whatever, sees the DVD and decides to steal it.

That is what it is designed for, nothing else.

This is not for your pirates that just collects stuff. More for your casual person that sees something interesting.
    can you pove it ? ( nothing personally ) the first thing they teach you in the univercity is critical reading, new media has one purpose to give ppl opinion for good or bad, mostly for manipulation of the masses.

"I could feel bad about creating a tool that could be used for piracy," says the 23-year-old Holmes

how does this prove that he wrote this app for piracy ? its the writers assumtion that he did because he used it with TPB and you did the same

mabey he wrote that with intention for other reason, and he used a poor presentation method.

is it different to copy a ISBN number or copy a title form IMDB .. it the same thing, my point is that these kind of news damages more then benefits us all.. if we gone be paranoid like that we soon will be back with stone tools..

again dont get me wrong is not to flame you.

Ok prove he did not write it for piracy.

with TPB and you did the same
    He didn't write it for no good reason since he does not mention a legal use for it. Yes the writer can manipulate what he says but dropping a key portion of the story, what the app is for, is unlikely.

There is nothing even mentioned anywhere how this can be used for legal purposes. Even if you purchased the movie in Walmart and started the download to have a digital copy for your computer it is still illegal.

There is no legal that I have heard of to download a movie like this. If it connected with Netflix or some other legal then fine.

BTW you may want to watch the video in the story. What he did in that video, if it is truly him, is illegal. If it had legal uses and he was actually concerned then that is what he would have showed.

Also I know how the media works and how it tries to manipulate people.

Edit: Ben had a major brain fart there. For those that get subscription updates e-mailed you should get a bit of a laugh.
    Last edited by benmcl; 03-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

toché

problem is if, the industry will sue every one we gone have some problems when we will publish any kind of software, due to we gone have to prove that our intent is for legit uses, and i dont whant to have such climate in the world, which is comming closer and closer.. just seeing the laws in sweden that have came is horryifing that now the industry have more power then the police, and basiclly can go to any one they suspect with out any major restrictions. feels like old DDR germany all in the name of banishing piracy.

Oh I agree. Someone will try to sue him even though they shouldn't. They have to go after the people that actually upload the stuff and download the stuff. Those are the ones breaking the law.

LOL! The world!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast