Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st VTM problem

It was a pretty legitimate question, there is no need to insult me over it.

The hex values i've seen all look like 4 lots of 2 digits, hence why I asked about 3 digit values, I did not say anywhere that I could not count, I simply wondered if hex values can go into the realm of triple digits and further.

Thankyou for helping, but no thankyou for your un-necessary insult.

Sorry if I offended I know it was a legit question. All that was, was me saying that if you have another question I wont just give out the answer. I will try to help you solve it for yourself. It was not meant to insult you. Mow that I read it back to myself in your point of view it dose sound like I was trying to insult you, but I did not mean to insult you. I am very sorry for insulting you.
    Brony, deal with it.

No problem, I understand the concept, i've used it before, someone doesn't learn to learn if they are fed information all the time, the only way to learn to learn is to do things yourself. It's like a baby bird being brought up, if it was not taught to hunt, and it was fed by it's mother before being let out into the wild, it would not survive....

Anyway, I had a look around with the other things previously, just not the hex values, as I felt that it wasn't too necessary to learn before following the rest of chapter one, so I figured i'd come back on the forums once I finished chapter one or once I actually really needed to understand the values to see if anybody had explained how they work better, if not then I would have gone and searched myself.

Believe me, the majority of my learning experience with anything on the net, comes with a mix of searching myself and also asking on forums, most of the time i'll post on the forums, then go search myself, find the answer, come back, and close my thread as I've already found the answer, or if someone has posted an answer, i'll thank them for their help and also post a link to the resource where I found the answer prior to reading their post just so that if anybody views the thread in future, they can look at the link I looked at to find a secondary answer incase they didn't understand the answer in the post.

Anyway..rambling on there, bottom line is, i'm not lazy like that, if I was, then I wouldn't know how to do 3d modelling, rigging, animation, texture art, concept art, music creation, audio creation, voice acting, and so on so forth.

So yup, that's that. All good now

I think it will make more sense if you examine our number system, which is base 10. There are 9 numbers, plus zero. Zero represents "nothing" as well as serves as a place holder. If you start counting:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

After you reach 9, we no longer have symbols to represent all the numbers the follow. As you know, a combination of digits are used to show these values. So, 10 is simple one more than 9, but two digits are used to show this value. The 0 shows that thee are no single values, while the 1 show that there is a single value that is equal to 9 + 1. Better yet, the 1 shows that there is a single value that is equal to 10^1. Hence, 15 can be considered (9 + 1) + 5, or 10^1 + 5. And 25 is 2 * 10^1 + 5. Of course when we exceed the value of 99 we need to add anothr digit. That digit have the value of 10^2. This processes continues on and on. The value 70653 can be represented as 7 * 10^4 + 0 * 10^3 + 6 * 10^2 + 5 * 10^1 + 3.

Hexidecimal works in the same manner, except it is base 16, with the values 0-F. If you count past F (decimal value 15) the next hex value is going to be 10 (16 in decimal). If we break down what 10 means here. The 0 means no single values. The 1 means 1 * 16^1. 2D would mean 2 * 16^1 + 13 or 2(16) + 13 or 45. A 3 digit hex number like 3AF in decimal is actually 3 * 16^2 + A * 16^1 + F = 3(256) + 10(16) + 15 = 768 + 160 + 15 = 943.

This same concept can be applied to octal(base 8) and binary(base 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Otreum View Post
    What happens once you get to the triple digit mark?

9a
    9b
    9c
    9d
    9e
    9f

What would be next?
    A0
    A1
    A2
    A3 ...

Actually it needs to be FF before it goes 100
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

windows calculator is an excellent help for learning hex. if you switch to scientific view, you may choose between hexadecimal, decimal, octal and binary via the radio buttons in the upper left.

Thanks for that tip Sans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123