NURBS Sweep angle

hi guys, i just want to know if it is possible to assign a locator to the sweep angle attribute of a NURBS sphere so i can animate it. If so, then how can i do it. I have tried to to add the sweep angle attribute via channel controls but there doesn't seem to be any sweep angle attributes in there. Any suggestions would be great.

thanks

ok this is just an idea and not a proven maya working one but its worth a try!

constrain the locator to a nurbs curve (circle) around the sphere exactly the same size of the circumfrence. now that whenever you move the null it moves around the sphere. now you could use SDK to link the position or rotation of the locator to the sweep angle of the sphere.

you said that you couldnt get the sweep angles in the channel controll. this might be a problem. but im not on maya atm so i can really check it out.
    Giggidy! Giggidy! Giggidy!

Create a locator and a sphere

add a channel to the locater called sphereSweep with a min of 0, max of 360, and a default of 360

open up the set driven key menu under animate.

In there, load the locater as the driver and the input node of the sphere as the driven. Do this by clicking on there sphere then click on the makeNurbSphere1 in the input box, then click load driver.

You can now control the end sweep, start sweep, spans, etc from this part of the SDK menu, and you can assign the sphereSweep attribute to the end sweep of the sphere.

=Fractal=

Have a question about Maya or Web Dev? I'll try my best to give you a hand. PM for my email, or reach me on Skype or AIM as Johnska7.

Did this post help you at all? Please feel free add to my reputation . Positive Feedback makes me happy!

Tutorial Writer | Adjunct Professor of Advanced 3d Modeling and Animation

Hi Quyeno,
    i have done this before, the way i did it was to create a locator and create a new attribute, and use set driven key at min and max. that should work

yeah, i got it working. the way i did was to connect the end sweep angle of one nurbs sphere to the other then create a locator then a new attribute for the locator, and i used that new attribute to connect to the nurbs sweep angle. no need for set driven key.