Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So....

So....

I have been trying to teach myself c++ with 3d buzz tutorials and resources. Along the way I have run into challenges or quizzes if you will that test my skill.

ex: 'Write a program that finds and displays all prime numbers from 1-100'

or

ex: "Write a program that changes upper case letters to lower case letters"

Sometimes these challenges completely stump me and I have to look at the answer to figure it out, sometimes im just baffled by the different way they chose to write the program.

Is this pretty common for novice programmers? To seem overwhelmed at first? it is a different language to me and all. I guess I just have to learn it through and through.

No, its not uncommon.

usually the overwhelming is less to do with the language being learnt and more how to break down the task to logical chunks.

A good example of something like that was a delphi challenges..

We did a prime number generator, and the main task was speed.
    However, in the process of creating it, while most people seem to know what a prime number is, they werent sure of how to test if a number was prime or not.

Similarly, I did one where you you had to do division by integers only.. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=151351

It was surprising how many didnt know how to do long division.

As a rule of thumb for me, the easier you think something is to do, the harder you will find it to put in your PC, if you think its hard to do in your head - it will be easy.

An obvious example of that would be:
    In your mind picture a square, colour it green, turn it to a circle, a triangle, rotate it, change it to blue, yellow, bigger, smaller.. Cake right? Now take 9234738473847*812643 hard for your head right? well the first is 1000s of lines of code in most languages, the last is 1.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

thanks liz

My Java teacher told the class it's good to be confused at times. For me it was often

When I started learning C++ I was totally lost. It just takes some time. Its like learning a spoken language you've never spoke before, its just gonna take some time.

Looking at source code can be a great way to learn how something works, I still do it to this day, just as long as you don't just copy it, but really study it.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Hey man, I am learning C++ now too! currently on the classes section and I got my 4 energy drinks and a pack of cigarettes for the night.

I tried C++ back in 2003 and failed miserably. I pretty much gave up until I heard a quote from someone saying "You don't necessarily need to have an amazing memory, but rather a good reference that you can quickly check".

There's websites of course, but multitasking on a computer can suck when you're trying to learn. A physical prop is needed. I use a binder, set it up into sections like Buzz has them:

Level 1: Operators //page 1
    Control Statements and Branching //page 2
    Control Statments and Branching //page 3

When I find out something new I just write it down or print it out and add it to the section it applies to. That way I can access it quickly when I forget.

The VTMS go by very fast and only touch a little bit on each topic. If Joel starts to move onto a new topic, and you don't understand the first one, then rewatch his first topic. If you still don't understand then you need a secondary reference such as a website or a book to help you. A good website is:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days!

Even with all of this I am still overwhelmed a lot of the time. But with anything, if you practice each day you'll get better no matter what. Best of luck sir!

I had issues with the teach yourself c++ in 21 days when I tried it back in the very very early 90s. As when I did it the first 10 days were purely cin/cout, which I totally understood and it covered a bit about loops and ifs and so on.. then I think it was day 11, they printed like 3 pages of c++ code with the handling of all the windows messages etc, but, somehow it didnt seem to explain it to me, it almost as I recall said "you will need all this, dont worry about it now" .. but the following like 11 days, I could do what they wanted, but, when it came to making my own at the end.. I was straight out of luck.. nothing I did worked

Thankfully now, visual c++ is far more actually visual. I think that was most of my stumbling block but I could do anything in a dos based window, I was cool with that.. it was just the windows messenging bit that didnt click with me.

PS I should also point out that that site is also an illegal copy of the book - the book is NOT a free book you're supposed to pay for it.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Yeah, I can see it will take some time, and lots of it. but im writing my own programs to help me retain what ive learned so that should help. Thanks for the input everyone!

Picking your own goals, and working to them is a good thing to do, its all well and good understanding perhaps how they made evil monkeys, but not then if you cant work out for example how to make a tic-tac-toe app or such is your wish.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

I guess there's no perfect source for learning you have to combine all of them-- look back and forth. 21 days can do a good job at times explaining and then out of no where get confusing. Sucks it's not a legal site.

Anyway, I think what's most important is to make programming fun. If you listen to Joel in the videos he makes sound effects when he edits stuff DINK. If you look at programming as monotonous it's going to be. It takes an imagination to see more than text on the screen. Math, logic and order are all just so fascinating to me.

Coffee helps too. Hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast