Thread: Odd question

Odd question

So I have been working with c++ for a while but I never really got around to understanding how to make a program that I could run without having to open up VS2008 and compile. I want to make a simple program that when I open windows, it will ask me if I have done such and such tasks.
    I am not asking for the code, but primarily the steps in which I could get this done. I know the startup part deals with registry but and advice would help.
    Thanks in advance.

Well, once you have written your program, compile a release build. Inside your project folder hierarchy find the compiled program and save it somewhere. Then just create a shortcut to the program in the Startup program group, and the program will run each time you reboot.

As Mr_charisma says, when you compile your program hidden in your project folder will be a debug and release folder - in there is an exe for you to do with as you will - including give to your friends (and enemys) etc.

For launching on startup, you either as mr_charisma says want to put it in the startup group in your (or all users) start menu, or, you can place it to run in one of a number of registry keys.

Code:
    For the registry keys for the current user account you can put an entry in 
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

for all users 
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    There are no spaces if it insists on putting them in I tried editing it to stop it but it wouldnt play
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Thanks for the replies! I checked in the folder and the exe was titled <q>blah.exe.manifest</q> I am not sure exactly what that means or what to do.

And thank you very much for the registry advice! I wasn't even expecting it.

The manifest is not waht you're seeking. That simply describes things about your application. You want the plain exe file. If you don't know where to look, go into the project options in Visual Studio for the project, and in the Linker->General tab, there should be a option called "Output File" the value might look like "$(OutDir)\$(ProjectName).exe" click on the arrow in that combo box and choose "<edit...>" then cleick the button "Macros>> " in the window that pops up, this will let you see the value of all the macros. Look at what "OutDir" is and you'll find the exe at that directory.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Manifest is like a readme for the computer, it tells it stuff about it - there should be in there also a .exe proper.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Oh now I see it, thanks again guys!