Thread: Garbage

Garbage

I normally wouldn't do this, but after a whole night of trying to do the C++ vtms and error after error after error because of some outdated or poorly written code I have finally shaken my head in anger. Why teach bad code that compilers will not understand and certainly not newcomers??? Why implant illogical things that will have to be relearned? I'm sorry but I feel I wasted my time and these videos should either be removed or contain a message that says "These should ONLY be used as quizes for you to correct!".

Sure, there is some code in the videos that will only work in certain compilers, but there is also a thread with updates and fixes for everything. Many, many people have used these videos to learn C++ (me included). I think calling them garbage, throwing your hands up, and getting angry is a a little hasty.

KeithGarry,

Unless you have the exact same setup as the 3D Buzz crew did when they made the VTMs, the chances are you will have at least SOME difficulties.

Also, I have been through many of the VTMs, and don't see many "illogical things" that will need relearning - the only one is the issue with int main() and void main(). Those things have been covered several times in several threads and were even changed in the VTMs very early on.

If you have an issue, people are more than glad to help you, because lord knows issues come from all over the place and often are difficult to even know where they're coming from, but making a public lambasting of 3D Buzz is not very mature or professional. A PM to the Buzz crew would have much more effect and won't get you flamed, either.

Thanks, I agree I was hasty. I shouldn't have posted this... after I cooled off and came to my senses the element of correcting the code is actually pretty effective.

A big part of programming is fixing errors and debugging, so the more experience you get with that the better.

Also the reason they didn't use the fully compliant code could be that they would of had to explain an advanced topic that they felt you weren't ready for yet. For example, when they use void main, if they used int main they would have to explain what a return type is, the syntax of it, what a return statement is, what values are returned and also subsequently what variable types there are, which would be a fairly big discussion, and for a newcomer it might be very difficult to wrap their heads around the concept, since they aren't in the 'programmer state of mind' so to speak.

And remember the VTMs are not the end all be all reference for learning C++(they aren't bad so don't take it that way) but there are tons of resources out there, a Google search of 'C++ tutorial' comes up with a lot of links.
    Also keep in mind when you do read more tutorials and such that people have their own style of coding, they may do things differently, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a wrong way.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

The other problem is just coz thats not what you might have done if you were making it yourself with the knowledge you have - see a post I made, about passing as pointer, reference or value -> personally Id pass as reference, others have said they prefer pointer because then they are reminded on calling it that the value can change.. Me? Id rather dispense with the whole -> and * and & parts where possible.

The other thing is that any teaching can either go with or against your way of thinking people can explain things so you instantly see it or they can explain it in ways you just dont get and you have to find the one that fits with your way of being more.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"