Thread: FBX loading

FBX loading

Did anyone create the code for FBX loading in their games/apps ? im looking at the SDK now, and it looks very interesting, just wondering if anyone would reply with their experiences with it?

cheers
    [quote][\quote]

i didn't watch the vtm, but i've been using the sdk a couple of times now.

fbx is a powerful format and the sdk does a good job of integrating it. i usually go with obj, since it is the most widely known format out there and as a bonus human-readable. but when the featureset of obj is just not enough, fbx is usually the first thing i turn to.

I've used the FBX SDK to extract all the data that I needed and then I wrote it out into my own 3D file format to use in my game engine. The SDK is buggy, so I don't want to use it in my game, but it is a great tool to be able to grab all the verts, UVs, animations etc from a specific model.
    C++, 3D OpenGL and Game Programming video tutorials:
    www.MarekKnows.com
    Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Quote Originally Posted by mmakrzem View Post
    I've used the FBX SDK to extract all the data that I needed and then I wrote it out into my own 3D file format to use in my game engine. The SDK is buggy, so I don't want to use it in my game, but it is a great tool to be able to grab all the verts, UVs, animations etc from a specific model.
    good point there. integrating the sdk with a game is probably not such a good idea, since it is by no means optimized to be fast. for the sake of loading times, you should convert the files to a more manageable format and load the game from those filed.
    unfortunately, there is no real gold-standard out there for 3d-model file formats for games, so depending on how sophisticated your models are, you will probably need to develop your own format.

well im looking at md5 at the moment, this game is just a small game, so i cant justify having fbx loaders then to custom files.
    [quote][\quote]