Thread: dx9 and c#

dx9 and c#

I have the DX9 sdk downloading and installed. I see you can use dx9 with c#. How do you use the sdk threw c#? What usings are available etc.

When you have the SDK installed you'll be able to add reference to Microsoft.DirectX.

All the usings will lie under Microsoft.DirectX.

Example:
    Code:
    using Microsoft.DirectX;
    using Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D;

My suggestion would be not to use Managed Direct X since it has been dropped by Microsoft. I'd look into either XNA (DirectX 9) or the open source .NET implementation of DirectX (both 9 and 10) called SlimDX. SlimDX would be a great choice if you don't want to be limited by an Xbox API, but if that's no problem the XNA route works well for most people.
    I didn't mean to do it.

great spam bot alert
    PSN : VenticalLamma (no ps3 at the moment) | Xbox live : Dj Whip It Out | Steam ID : undead_killa

Sgt.Matt Baker: You really get to know a man if you get to watch him die, that moment right before he realizes its over, that moment his face reflects every decision he's ever made, what kind of life he led and if he regrets it

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

I use SlimDX and PhysX .NET in my current project.
    They work very well together.
    PhysX .NET works great with XNA (on windows) and managed DirectX.
    Last edited by Bubba79; 11-25-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba79 View Post
    I use SlimDX and PhysX .NET in my current project.
    They work very well together.
    PhysX .NET works great with XNA (on windows) and managed DirectX.
    I'm currently looking into PhysX.NET myself. How has the API been to work with, and are there many missing features from the C++ version?

EDIT: You mention that it works great with XNA and MDX, but is it dependent on any of these API's? Would it easily integrate with, Let's say Tao.OpenGL and/or OpenTK? I haven't worked with PhysX with C++ either, so I have absolutely no idea about this.
    Last edited by rev'en; 11-25-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    I didn't mean to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rev'en View Post
    I'm currently looking into PhysX.NET myself. How has the API been to work with, and are there many missing features from the C++ version?

EDIT: You mention that it works great with XNA and MDX, but is it dependent on any of these API's? Would it easily integrate with, Let's say Tao.OpenGL and/or OpenTK? I haven't worked with PhysX with C++ either, so I have absolutely no idea about this.
    Well, i short yes. it is dependent of one of those, as it needs the matrix and vector structs from them.
    Then there is PhysX Sharp witch has their own vector and matrix and stuff, so you could use it with any gfx api you want.
    But i like PhysX .NET as it use the gfx apis structs so you dont need to create converter and such.

But try them both and see witch you like.

Thanks.

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)
    I didn't mean to do it.