Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Setting up wxWidgets 2.8.8 for VS 2008

Just got my disk in the mail and right off the bat I ran into a huge problem. Setting up wxWidgets in VS-2008. The wxWidget files have changed alot since 05 so the instructions on the VTM aren't much good concerning this.

Anyone figured out how to set it up?

Thanks for any help.

There are a couple of posts about. Check the thread of information first:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...895#post994129

And also a post by Nate Hale:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=168587

Looks like no one got it working with VS2008, but a copy of 2005 might still be available.

I'll look for an 05 version. But even if I find one, the newer version of wxWidgets doesn't have the file wxWindows.dsw which the VTM uses to set it up. But I haven't checked out your links yet. I'll do that and see what I can find. Thanks alot.

I found a file in C:\Program Files\wxWidgets-2.8.8\build\msw\ "wx_dll
    Type: VC++6 Workspace"

I used that and it seemed to build fine. Will that work with the VTM? It has all the right files, and more, except some of them begin with "wx". i.e., wxexpat, wxjpeg, wxtiff, as opposed to in the VTM in which they are simply expat, jpeg, tiff, and so on, only without the wx.

Hopefully this pic of my VS 2008 shows the projects it loaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Update: I installed VS 2005 and used a previous version of wxWidgets, 2.6.4. (Couldn't find ver. 2.6.2.)

It loaded fine and I made the changes, but when I tried to build it it had major problems.

Build: 0 succeeded, 4 failed, 3 up-to-date, 0 skipped.

Tried the same wxWidgets ver. 2.6.4 with VS 2008 and had 6 succeeded, 1 failed.

Hey Brusher,

Which ones failed? I can't remember which are supposed to compile, but out of the 7, which succeeded and which one didn't?

Sorry I missed your previous post, but I don't think there us much of a difference in use between, say, wxjpeg and just jpeg, expat, etc.

Whew! I thought you give up on me. haha What a relief! Thanks for the responce.

I believe these are the errors.

Using VS 2008 I had 5 succeeded and 2 failed. I Thought it was one but I tried it again to be sure and it was two.

The failures are:

================================================== ===

3>C:\Program Files (x86)\wxWidgets-2.6.4\include\wx/platform.h(190) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory
    3>regfree.c

2>tif_warning.c

3>C:\Program Files (x86)\wxWidgets-2.6.4\include\wx/platform.h(190) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory

3>regcomp.c

3>Generating Code...

3>Build log was saved at "file://C:\Program Files (x86)\wxWidgets-2.6.4\src\regex\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

3>regex - 4 error(s), 0 warning(s)

and,

==================================================

error C2664: 'BOOL (HANDLE,PENUMLOADED_MODULES_CALLBACK,PVOID)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'overloaded-function' to 'PENUMLOADED_MODULES_CALLBACK'
    7> None of the functions with this name in scope match the target type

wxWindows - 1 error(s), 5 warning(s)

Build: 5 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped

================================================== ==

I actually had less failures using VS 08 than VS 05.

BTW, I did make the changes, #define wxUSE_UNICODE 1, and #define wxUSE_GLCANVAS 1, as you outlined in your other thread.

Thanks.

Nah! Definitely not forgotten It just slipped my mind for a bit, and the thread disappeared.

Anyway, I THINK you've forgotten to setup the include libraries properly. I think VS2008 needs a more specific directory link (though can't quite remember... ).

Open your wxWidgets project as you did before, then try going to (This is for VC++2003 but might apply) Project > Properties > C/C++ > General, then in Additional include directories, instead of:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\wxWidgets-2.6.4\lib\mswd\
    Try adding:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\wxWidgets-2.6.4\lib\mswd\wx
    Not sure if this'll work, but it'll eliminate a possible solution, anyway.

Edit: P.S: Did you say you did everything outlined here: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...99#post1009999, 'cause if you did my suggestion might be redundant from the start, but if not
    Last edited by Khalhern; 07-25-2008 at 04:19 AM.

No, I haven't done everything yet. I stopped just after making the changes to wxUSE_UNICODE 1, and wxUSE_GLCANVAS 1 and tried to compile it.

When I had the compiling errors I stopped because at that point it was supposed to be error free, 7 succeeded and 0 failed. I thought it was pointless to continue with 2 errors.

But I was thinking the same thing as you about going ahead and adding the libs, etc. and see if that helps. Especially for the "cannot find file" error.

The other failure, I don't know. But I'll just continue through your instructions regardless of errors until the end and see if that helps.

Can't work on it till after 7 this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks alot.

Hello Khalhern.

I have it down to one error now. I've done everything outlined in Keithathaides tutorial. In fact, I've done it so many times, I could do it blindfolded now. haha

Here's the error,

"\msw\dlmsw.cpp(316) : error C2664: 'BOOL (HANDLE,PENUMLOADED_MODULES_CALLBACK,PVOID)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'overloaded-function' to 'PENUMLOADED_MODULES_CALLBACK'
    1> None of the functions with this name in scope match the target type"

And on Keithathaides tutorial project, I have it down to one error as well.

"c:\program files\wxwidgets-2.6.4\include\wx\platform.h(190) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory"

Thanks.
    Last edited by Brusher; 07-26-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast