Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Today's programming theory:
    NPC(AI) Class contains:
    Postion
    Rotation
    Weapon
    Health
    Storage(health vial, other weapons, etc)
    Region of Sight
    Region of Hearing

I'm going to do a 2d mockup, then bring it into my engine, converting it to 3d.

with the region of sight in 3d, would it be a good idea to use raycasting? or is there a better method?
    Last edited by gu1tarfreak; 07-11-2008 at 08:18 AM.

The quality got murdered, but you can tell what's going on.

EDIT:
    The red attacks the Player, the white runs away, but only based on how far away the player is. If you are too close to a red, it will attack you taking down your health(there are numbers above the players, its invisible because of crappy youtube quality)
    Last edited by gu1tarfreak; 07-11-2008 at 07:57 PM.

actually i have no idea whats going on? what are the red and white things?
    check out my new start up!
    www.wolvesvslions.com

Sorry, didn't add any comments, lol. The red and white are AI, the blue is the player.

The red attacks the Player, the white runs away, but only based on how far away the player is. If you are too close to a red, it will attack you taking down your health(there are numbers above the players, its invisible because of crappy youtube quality)

ah cool. now I see it. are the reds default movement to move in circles? just to kinda find a player?
    www.wolvesvslions.com

Exactly, and to make it a little less boring(this will not be the same in the actual game)

ya no I get it. Very basic so far. Looking forward to seeing this finished.
    www.wolvesvslions.com

Okay, so today I impliment this into the engine, and get started one the next project:
    Animation
    Terrain
    AI*
    Lighting
    Sound
    PostEffects
    Shading
    Extras
    Full Functioning Editor*

*done, but needs work.

You'll notice that I added extras, this is stuff like a skybox, underwater fog. Also shading. This is the shader engine that will make distortion with glass, specular passes, normal maps, etc.

If you're wondering why I spent just a short time on AI, and didn't really get much done with character interaction, its because most of that will be done on the Game side, instead of the engine. I will do more once I get to finishing up the editor(which comes after a few more pieces are put together)

A quick sidenote: Whoever reads this is probably wondering why I'm doing just a little with each engine, and moving on, I know that I'm doing that, and it's half intentional. I want to have an amazing engine, and I will...eventually. My goal for this engine is to get a playable game up and running before I turn 16, which is coming up pretty soon, just so you know

wait ur younger then 16. GO GuitarFreak!
    www.wolvesvslions.com

Ok, so its been about a week since I posted last and I told you then I would impliment AI and start on lighting that day....well I lied. It's day 4 or 5 and I'm still working on AI. Somehow it is harder to get an AI to rotate and move foward in 3d then it is in 2d. I am trying to use the same controls I used for my player as I am on my AI, but so far no luck.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast