What applications can I use for MEL/Python/API programming in Maya?

Last Update: 09 Jul 2008

If you are looking for applications to help you program for Maya be it MEL, Python or API, then you have come to the right place. The purpose of this thread is to list all available text editor solutions with features and links to plug-ins. Feel free to post/rant about your personal experience with Maya programming. This list is a work in progress, meaning it’s not complete at this moment and probably never will be. If you have anything to add go ahead and post it up and I will update the list.

Cheers,
    Julian

ConTEXT :
    - Freeware
    - MEL Highlighting:
    - Integrated Python and C++ Highlighting

Crimson Editor :
    - Freeware
    - MEL, Python, and C++ Syntax Highlighting
    - Send code to Maya and Display Script Editor Output
    - Find and Replace Functionality

Cutter Text Editor:
    - Freeware
    - Maya Help Integration
    - Code sensitive Mouse Button Menus: Provides direct help for commands and flags
    - Execute code and display Script Editor output
    - MEL Syntax Highlighting
    - At the time of writing this I could not get cutter to run on my machine. I’m sure it has more features, but I am currently unable to test the application myself.

Eclipse :
    - Freeware and Open Source, highly customizable
    - Python and C++ Highlighting and Code Completion
    - Eclipse Mel Editor allows MEL Syntax Highlighting and Code Completion

Edit+ :
    - Free 30 day Trial (single user license costs $35)
    - MEL, Python, and C++ Syntax Highlighting
    - Python and C++ Auto Complete (Currently no MEL support, but can be custom made)
    - Find and Replace Functionality

jEdit :
    - Freeware and Open Source, highly customizable
    - Java based, hence runs on any OS
    - Search and Replace Functionality
    - Automatic, manual and custom folding
    - Python and C++ Highlighting
    - Code Auto Completion
    - List and browse procedures and variables
    - Maya Help Integration

Maxya:
    - Free Learning Edition (Pro Edition costs ca. $50)
    - MEL and Python Highlighting
    - Code Snippets and Code Auto Completion
    - Procedure listing
    - Maya Help Integration
    - Send code to Maya and display Script Editor Output
    - Automatic Folding

MEL Studio:
    - Free LE version, sign up at digimation.com to download (PRO costs $125)
    - MEL and Python Syntax Highlighting
    - Runs directly within Maya as a complete Script Editor replacement. Allows you to directly execute code or middle mouse drag it to the shelf
    - Auto Complete Functionality
    - Maya Help Integration
    - Code listing for procedures and dag objects

Notepad++:
    - Freeware
    - Python and C++ Highlighting
    - MEL Highlighting
    - Auto Complete for Python and C++ (Haven’t found any for MEL, but can be custom made)

SciTE:
    - Freeware
    - MEL Highlighting

SourceEdit:
    - Freeware
    - C++ Syntax Highlighting
    - MEL and Python Syntax Highlighting
    - Code Completion

VIM:
    - Apparently vim can do a lot, but so far I couldn’t find a features list. Any help/links would be appreciated
    Last edited by Count_Zero; 07-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress."

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

Hey Julian..

I was interested in that "Send code to Maya and Display Script Editor Output" item by the Notepad++ info, but the link doe'snt work..?
    Seems as thought www.rodmena.com is down.
    (same for the listing under SciTE)

Just to let you know..
    Greets
    Dave

It looks like the site goes on and off. I have now changed the link to point to the download entry at highend. The plugIn is called Mapy by the way and works for many text editors.

I also added two new entries to the list. Thanks for your input Dave.

Julian
    Last edited by Count_Zero; 07-09-2008 at 07:17 AM.

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

What, nobody is ranting, yet? Well, I guess I have to take the first shot then. I am going to try out every IDE that works with MEL and post my feedback in this thread. Starting with...

Maxya by Nevin Turkay

What I like...

1. Easy to install, practically nothing to setup. It's really that simple. The application comes with a nice installer that takes you by the hand, installs the app within seconds and you are ready to rock and roll.

2. Maxya is specifically designed to work with Maya. So it automatically comes with all the goodness you’d usually have to get through plugins in other IDEs. Syntax Highlighting, Procedure listing, direct access to the help files etc.

3. Sending code to Maya and receive Script Editor output: Rock on. This works right from the getgo and doesn’t require any port setup through Maya. Select any MEL code and execute.

4. Automatic Folding: It’s quite smart actually. Everything that is within curly brackets { } will be considered for folding as well as multiple comment lines.

5. Overall very easy to use. You don’t need a Ph.D. in order to use this app. That’s a huge plus on my side. Maya itself is complicated enough as it is. No reason to add more confusion to the mix.

What I don’t like:

1. The Learning Edition comes with two very annoying features: 1: Occasionally you won’t be able to save. You get a nice pop up window reminding you that you oughta spend money on this if you want all features. To be honest, I think that’s a no no. I’d rather have a 30 day trial that always allows me to save than playing dice on whether I get to keep my work. Of course you can always select the entire code and paste it in another script Editor. Still, annoying. 2: Sending code to Maya has a limit, and you will eventually have to restart the application.

2. The Code Browser only lists procedures. It would be nice if it also listed variables.

3. Auto Complete: Call me picky, but the spacebar key should cancel the auto complete and not validate it. The fact that it doesn’t turns writing comments into a pure nightmare. Try it out yourself and you’ll soon find out what I mean. It would also be nice to have number shortcuts for the auto complete list, so I don’t have to hit the arrow keys multiple times in order to find the right choice.

4. Maxya doesn’t offer a whole of lot preference choices. It is nice to have an application that works right from the start, but personally I like to have options. Many options in fact. Come on, I’m using Maya: I want options, shortcuts, customizable menus, hidden stuff to figure out etc.

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

all disadvantages were past

Mr Count_Zero,

there is 10s of suggests added into maxya 3.5.1.especially after version 3.2.0
    the fact is now maxya is too much stronger than 2 months ago.Added many functions as all you listed here.

you may update your opinions again.
    because you are talking about old versions.
    regards,
    kursat turkay.

sure, I'll give it another go once I get a free minute. Which unfortunately isn't going to happen any time soon.

Thanks for your input.
    Julian

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

I use textPad. it has a mel editor and it catches MOST of my mistakes... and it's free.