Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One big project

I would be interested too.

We just need to give anyone who wants to do something some tasks. For instance: Someone - Interface; Someone - Client/Server programming, Someone - Something else and so on... of course don't give something to people who don't know nothing about how to make it.

We need a main programmer, for instance it could be Streamline or Liz IMO.
    Last edited by Qmal; 06-29-2008 at 06:48 PM.

liz has already said she hasnt got time which i understand and sympithes with. bless her.
    on the other hand before a project is ordered the go head everyone needs to agree on the project.

That's right. If Liz has no time, don't bother her. She already done so much for everyone of us.

So we already got 3 vollunters (me inclueded). How many to we need?

First we really need to decide what project to dono, that's like having a group that wants to go together on hollidays but doesn't know where.
    Maybe as messenger type op programm (with all basic messenger functionnalites) and a possibility to add modules like a classroom part (not only for learning Delphi but anything). For the classroom we could imagine the possibility for the teacher to make a small arrow icon move around the screen to show where the student need to look (assuming that he has the same application opened on his side).

What do you think?

P.S.: The modules would come with new dll's you could load. Is that possible?

I don't know what we could do and how many people we need.

yes using DLLs is possible although bpls would be easier for you all, and if you got into interfaces you would find the whole DLL issue for modules easier, but its a big step up from anything you guys have done as part of the courses/tasks here.

Having explained it and demo'd it and lost my temper (with the rpg thing), Im not keen to go through that again..
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Ok no problem Liz, we'll just look for tutorials on the web.

Could you just tell me for such a project how many people do you think we need at least to get it rolling?

You'd need realistically:

At least 2 who are capable of writing the entire project without assistance and who are confident and have a fair bit of spare time, as its wrong to expect 1 person to carry the burden of answering all the questions, plus the more peoples views who can explain it well the greater the chance of someone who doesnt understand making sense of it..

For each module/section/unit you should have 1 person to write it, and one person to test it who wasnt the writer. (if you go too far you'd need a versioning system, and to be honest that was the start of the downfall of the rpg thing just dont go there, rely on 1 person per unit (or more units) and they post the "released" units somewhere.. And..

You need at least 1 person to write the helpfile material.

You need a project manager: someone who will dish out the work, chase people to do it, to act as co-ordinator should something need to change

You need a detailed project plan: detailing exactly what will be made, how everything fits together, how it can be broken into chunks, what the exact requirements of each chunk are (down to function names, variable names etc in shared resources), so they can be handed out by the project manager to individuals. It should include dependancies as things like you need an engine to test modules.. so you cant test modules until you made the engine..

You need a test plan: How you're going to test things, how you will decide it works or not, log bugs, announce fixes, releases, changes..
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

but before you set off on a project you need to know the aim of that project / missions eh?

While I was active in the challenges I'm really leary about committing, especialy on a nebulous idea. Frankly I have other projects that are of a higher prority or I would help. I'm likely soudning like a wet blanket but committing to something I have little motivation to help with would be worse.
    VK

Thanks Liz for the info.

I think we first really need to focus of an aim.
    What should the project be?

For the communication between two PC's I think I have some ideas how to do it but I am no professionnal.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast