Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The biggest winner in UE3 is the tools. UE3 tools beat ANY other engine's tools, hands down.

Tools, tools, tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Aholio View Post
    But that's like saying Microsoft makes the best OS because their OS is everywhere. I am sure there are a number of people on this forum that would argue that Microsoft does not have the best OS.
    Well... except that people willing choose to license UE3 by virtue of the product, not because it runs everything they want to actually use.

I would agree with you that Microsoft does not have the best OS from a consumer perspective, but if you intend on doing real-world application/game development and you want to work with some of the best development tools there are, then it really is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aholio View Post
    to bring this one step further off topic, but did you know that moot does not mean pointless. For years I had been using the word incorrectly. I was shocked when I found out it actually means open for debate; debatable.
    Well... it also means 'of little or no practical value or meaning'.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Not to switch the subject too much...

But i was looking at the OP's script and (besides already ruling out that the capital S is fine) it compiled fine for me, but I always thought that when you used the string object instead of a character pointer you had to throw in a
    Code:
    #include <string>
    so just for kicks i put it in and recompiled and once again got no errors. Just wondering why this was because in previous exercises that I've done I have gotten errors if i do not include <string> but i was using devC++ then and now I use codeblocks. Could this be the difference or am i way off base?

-Max

He was not using the string object. He was naming his own functions "String." You are correct, to use the STL string class you must #include string.h.

As I already stated, I would advise not to use String as it could easily be confused with std::string unless you are using the scope resolution operator each time you call string.

And also note that <string.h> is the old C header file which has the functions like strlen and strcat, old C style string functions, whereas <string> is the new C++ header which eventually declares the std::basic_string class through which std::string derives from.

Another thing, the only thing that makes a difference in code compiling is the compiler/linker, the IDE(Integrated Development Environment) has little effect, this is of course related to how(if it does) create its make files for you. But Code::Blocks and Dev-C++ both use MingW(Windows port of GCC) unless you specify a different compiler(i.e. Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler, Digital Mars, WATCOM, Intel C++ Compiler, etc...). These are all command line programs, all an IDE does is pass them the arguments and organize your files for you in a nice project(whatever the IDE may call projects). You could code C++(as well as pretty much all programming languages) in NotePad and run the file(s) through the compiler through the console. IDE's put in nice features like syntax highlighting and I forget the proper name but like Visual Studio's IntelliSense. They are just tooks to make your life easier.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Oh wow,

I looked at that completely wrong thanks for pointing that out Nelson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123