Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reading over a technique and then putting it into play with an example will only really help you by a fraction.

The real learning and understanding only comes into play when you put the logic into a real working app, which will generally be heaps more complicated that the examples given in books.

So put it into action !!
    [quote][\quote]

ok i know how to use structors and functions togther just thought i will say lol

I think you mean constructors or destructors.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

yes lol thanks for that , whats the best gaming engine out there if you don't mind me asking cause thats why im learning C++.

UE3 is arguably the best one out there. There are lots of others though.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    UE3 is arguably the best one out there. There are lots of others though.
    Perhaps, but the Source engine seems like it is the best because of how stable and expandable it is. The graphics are not the best (they were when it came out, though); however, it has had a fairly long life and I can see it being used for a while to come.

Basically what I am saying is that there is no best engine - but some engines are better in some regards then others.

Oh, and age has nothing to do with how fast you can learn C++. Don't use it as an excuse to stop or say that C++ is too difficult. Just keep pressing though and you will eventually get it

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    Perhaps, but the Source engine seems like it is the best because of how stable and expandable it is. The graphics are not the best (they were when it came out, though); however, it has had a fairly long life and I can see it being used for a while to come.

Basically what I am saying is that there is no best engine - but some engines are better in some regards then others.
    "Valveā€™s Source engine is widely recognized as the most flexible, comprehensive, and powerful game development environment available."
    ~Valve
    I guess I'm just not the kind of person who takes everything everyone says on the Internet as religious dogma (GASP! Blasphemy!). I was wondering if you could qualify your statements above.

I suppose there was a reason that Owensd said that UE3 was arguably the best engine out there. He was probably figuring that someone (though we'd have never guessed who... really) would eventually argue the point.

I just see the number of licensees of Source (even throughout its entire history) and how that number seems to be dwarfed by the number of current and even recent UE3 licensees. I see how many companies (outside of the engine developer) are making incredible quality games for PC and current-gen platforms. I just don't see so many people using Source anymore. Me, I would think that if Source was a better engine, the results would be different.

What I DO see is an Engine whose games look generally very dated and simple sitting next to contenders such as Gears of War (1 or 2) or Bioshock, both of which exhibit much more than just outstanding visuals. I've used the development tools on both, and while I'm not really here to state my own opinion, I do have very clear feelings on which platforms has the easier development system. (Hint: Valve did not make the one I favor.)

So I'm just wondering, do you know something I don't? Is there some massive wave of next-gen titles that will be using Source, or a massive list of developers out there who are about to start licensing it? As far as I'm concerned, it really LOOKS like a very one-sided contention of an already dated engine against a very modern one.

Yes, I think you really CAN define a "best" engine, but it's all in HOW you go about doing it. Do you judge strictly based on technical capability or prowess? Absolutely not! You can have the most powerful system mankind has ever seen, but if a developer has too hard of a time working his art, it's all pointless (just ask Sony). No, you must define the quality of an engine by how EASILY and how QUICKLY game developers can do what they WANT to do, and THEN look at the quality of those results. When you do that, I think it's pretty easy to see - just from sheer numbers - how UE3 stacks up against Source.

I'm not here to say anyone's wrong. I'm just voicing a logical approach to a very simple situation. Personally, I would think that with such a massive difference in number of licensees, it's fairly obvious that many companies have already decided that Unreal was the better platform, and that our discussions on the topic are moot.

Cheers,

The Source Engine is good, but I think UE3 beats it. The only thing with UE3 is that to mod it you can't use C++ you have to use UnrealScript(if this is wrong for UE3 correct me, as I don't have UT3 yet). That is of course you buy a license for you know $300,000. But you can mod the Source engine with C++ through their SDK. Even though UnrealScript is similar to C++.

And also Zak, I think some of that is due to the fact that the Source engine is now relatively old, not trying to undermine you or anything like that.

But I remember seeing all the stuff for UE3 just looking amazing. This was back when it wasn't released yet, we were just waiting for it to start doing work(we switched from Source to UE3). There are some limitations with the Source engine that UE3 can handle a lot better, not to say that UE3 doesn't have limitations because every engine will have limitations.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Personally, I would think that with such a massive difference in number of licensees, it's fairly obvious that many companies have already decided that Unreal was the better platform, and that our discussions on the topic are moot.
    But that's like saying Microsoft makes the best OS because their OS is everywhere. I am sure there are a number of people on this forum that would argue that Microsoft does not have the best OS. Sorry to bring this one step further off topic, but did you know that moot does not mean pointless. For years I had been using the word incorrectly. I was shocked when I found out it actually means open for debate; debatable.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Notsosuperhero View Post
    And also Zak, I think some of that is due to the fact that the Source engine is now relatively old, not trying to undermine you or anything like that.
    Oh, not at all. But if you take age out of the mix, you'll see that, overall, Source never really caught on, at least not in the way Unreal did.

Okay, enough of that. I'm out of this digression.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast