Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it possible

Quote Originally Posted by disturebd View Post
    Ive read and i do agree but this is somethign id like to do and i have a preety good base plan for it and i dot plan to embark on this project but for another month and that would be a crappy but little engine that plays a little game im gona make
    It does not matter how crappy or little the engine will be. Create a game, reuse some of that code for the next game. Over a few iterations you'll have a solid understanding of what will be needed in your framework - or engine if that is what you call it.
    I didn't mean to do it.

I know rev'en gave you an excellent link that explains it perfectly, but I would like to tell you my ideal approach (also stated in rev'en's link) to structure game projects.

Currently I am working on an adventure game, but in order to save me time and hassle, I am creating a graphics engine (or interface to the sdl libraries, which ever way you like to look at it). so instead of building an adventure game engine, I am making the graphics engine then using my re-usable graphics engine code for my adventure game which is designed specifically for my game and not a broad range of them. this design allows me to re-use that graphics code, saving me time in the future with other projects.

Now unto 3D engines. 3D engines are extremely complicated, especially collision detection in them. I take that back though. 3D engines aren't complicated per-se, but in order to build won you have to have a lot of math knowledge (like algebra, trigonometry, calculus, physics) and patience. Even simple engines can have code up in the 1,000 line mark, just for the engine, after that you have to worry about the game code!

Instead of building your own, why not just use someone else engine? instead of learning years worth of math, you could just read the documentation, learn to use that engine and be on your way to making your game.

hope I helped.

I have lots of experience in math and theres no need for me to worry about math
    My WIP's

It's spelled Disturebd for a reason

you should take a peek at the OGRE project. It will get you pretty far in your endeavor to write a game engine.

You can look at the way others have done it as well. For instance, quake III

Quote Originally Posted by athosghost View Post
    You can look at the way others have done it as well. For instance, quake III
    Don't read source code.
    I didn't mean to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rev'en View Post
    That is not entirely true. I have learned a lot from reading source code for specific things. For example, I wanted to develop a php calendar once and had access to the source code for an existing system. The code was terribly formatted, and took a lot of effort to figure out what he was doing and, most impotently, how it worked. However, after reading the code and getting an idea of how he did certain things, I was then comfortable developing my own system that worked great (and had proper formatting, better overall design and lots of additional features ).

So the notion that you cannot learn from source code is not true. Although I did agree with the points he described - I think that being able to extract ideas and algorithms from other's source code is a good skill to have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123