Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selection messed up.

Hey there, I tried to find my answer to this in both the Maya FAQ and bugs and glitches but I didn't seem to find it.
    I have a problem with the selection, I knew the answer to this before but apparently I forgot or it changed name in the later versions.

I for instance have a house modeled out with lots of stuff in it, and when I want to select like a chair, pot or a lamp the things behind these gets selected instead. So when I try to select a lamp the roof gets selected which is behind the lamp. And with a pot the wall of the house gets selected.

I recall there is a setting for this of what should be selected (like a level system) but I can't seem to find it. It's with Maya 2008. Any help appreciated, I have a scene with lots of stuff, and the only solution for this is that I export everything and import it into a new scene, as that scene isn't messed up selection wise.

Thanks.
    Portfolio

* Dave has kicked Dobe from #3dbuzz (Dave)
    * Dobe (Dobe@A8F9D847.174C8020.329AD7F2.IP) has joined #3dbuzz
    <Dobe> Hi Dave
    <Dave> Hi
    <Dave> hows it going?

Hi Seijiro,

If your trying to select object's of the same type, i.e. lots of polygons, lots of nurbs then generally it will be hard to select what you want 1st go. There are lots of tricks however to get over this. Alternatively if you are working with a lot of objects and you have some joints that you want visible or whatever, that has a higher stacking priority than say a nurbs surface, your going to want to change some settings to allow you to take preference over the joints.

Note: if you single click select objects then maya should always select the foremost object... however when your in component selection mode this is not the case and you may single click on a face in vertex mode and accidentally select a vertex that's directly behind that face.

Ill provide multiple solutions to help you out in your current & future situations.. yes i'm psychic

Solution 1: inside your viewport, select the object you want to work on and go to "Show>Isolate Select>View Selected". This is a toggle for focusing on your selected objects so you dont need to worry about the rest of your scene getting in the way. I've written up a quick script you can add to your shelf or hotkey to so you dont need to keep accessing that menu again and again... If you read the comments in it you should be able to understand it.
    Code:
    $getCurrentPanel = `getPanel -withFocus`;							//returns the current panel
    string $getCurrentPanelType = `getPanel -typeOf $getCurrentPanel`; 		//gets the panel type of the currently active panel

if ($getCurrentPanelType == "modelPanel") {						//checks to see if the current panel type is indeed a modelPanel(i.e. perspective, front view etc)
    	int $isolateOnFlag = `isolateSelect -query -state $getCurrentPanel`;	//finds out the current isolateSelect state
    	if ($isolateOnFlag == 0) { 								//checks if the state is 0 (which means everything is showing)
    		enableIsolateSelect $getCurrentPanel true;				//and if it is then it will isolate the selection
    	}												//the end of the 2nd if statement:D
    	else {											//telling maya that "if the isolate state is anything other than "0" to... (read next line:p)
    	enableIsolateSelect $getCurrentPanel false;					//set the isolate state back to 0 so everything's showing again
    	}												//end of the else statement
    }													//end of the whole script:)
    Solution 2: You can mass toggle off different selection types. i.e. if you dont want any joints to be showing, along with no polys and no fluids.. Then inside your viewport go to "Show>Then toggle on and off whatever you dont need. Dont forget about the 'All' and 'None' toggles"

Solution 3: This is to do with maya's priorities - selection order. Go to your main menu, "Window>Settings/Preferences>Preferences". Then in the "Categories" box on the far left select "Selection". Now if you look to your right there is a "Priority" section. You can here choose presets or "Custom". Here you can select anythign in the box to the left of that drop down and right below the Presets options there is a "Priority" box. The higher the number the more important that type is. so for example if nurbs were set to 10 and clusters were set to 0, if you did a selection across both of these, the clusters would not get selected at all and the nurbs would get selected.

*takes breath*

that should fix all your selection problems

First of thanks for all your effort but unfortunately, none of the solutions does correct my problem. I think it's a Maya bug or something.
    I have only polygons, no joints, no nurbs, no other selection handles etc. And say I have three walls that are lined up in neat and tidy behind each other. If I look at straight down their path and select, the last one gets selected.
    I know that if everything are polygons, for instance, the closest object to the camera should get selected (even if there are other polys behind it) with a single click, but this does not happen in my case.

Could this have anything to do with that when I started this scene I was using Maya 8.5, but now I continue it with 2008?

It's not a matter of isolate select or the 'Show' menu in the panels, cause even if I turn off everything except polys selection would still be messed up (i.e. selecting things behind what I actually want to select). With other words, I want to select whatever my mouse is over. If I drag and select they do get selected normally, but I do not want to use that method of fear of selecting something behind it (or beside it).
    Last edited by Seijiro; 01-28-2008 at 04:41 AM.
    Portfolio

<Dobe> Hi Dave
    <Dave> Hi
    <Dave> hows it going?

hmm that IS weird. Try deleting your maya preferences from your default maya directory then restarting maya.

And you said this problem doesnt occur in new scene:S

i'd love to know if you fix it how you fixed it!

Actually it does appear in a new scene. I opened another project I was working on where it worked perfectly, and I did only a quick test with a new scene. Now I've done a more extensive test.

I just tried the selection debugging with a new scene and tried my "wall" theory. It did plan out to some extent. But there's something more going on.
    When I created a cube and scaled it to a wall sixe, duplicated it in both directions, and when I ling my camera up with the walls path the original always gets selected. And if the original is not there, the second one that got duplicated gets selected and so on.
    So this is some kind of hierarchy thing going on. Anyone know how to turn this of, or how to deal with this? One would think this is some kind of duplicate option, but the thing is, even if you create new objects there would be some weird selection order that only Maya knows and don't want to share. Stingy I say!

EDIT:
    Oh and deleting preferences doesn't work. I've even reinstalled Maya twice to see it that would have any effect (and manually deleting any preferences and other leftover files like Documents and Settings), but no sir it didn't. Maya still doesn't give in.
    Portfolio

<Dobe> Hi Dave
    <Dave> Hi
    <Dave> hows it going?

I've made yet other discoveries.

1. Objects of the same type, i.e. poly, nurbs etc. get selected depends on who's highest up in the outliner. The higher up the object is the higher priority it has. So if I have ten spheres, sphere1 would get selected instead of sphere10, if I change place of those two so that sphere10 is at the top in the outliner that one would get selected.

2. The second thing I discovered is that, I have another HDD with Maya 2008 installed, and when I open the scene over there everything works perfectly. So I've started to think if this isn't some driver issue (OpenGL mainly). I have ATI latest drivers if I find the same version the other HDD is using I'm gonna try that.
    I'll get back to see if that fixed it.

PS. I even went so far as to copy all preferences and the whole Maya folder over the existing one I have on this HDD, it didn't work so once again I'm suspicious of the drivers.
    Portfolio

<Dobe> Hi Dave
    <Dave> Hi
    <Dave> hows it going?

Right, I'm done with the testing and I've reached the conclusion that it is a driver issue.
    I uninstalled all the GFX drivers and started Maya and opened that scene and selection worked perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't have those old drivers that the other HDD uses, I think it was 7_10 ATI/AMD drivers for Radeon X1950 Pro. But as soon as I installed the drivers again (tested 7-12 and 8-1), the selection went crazy.
    I think it's some OpenGL option somewhere but I don't know where to look for such. But at least now I know what the problem is and hopefully this will help someone in the future too. The solution would simply be to find the drivers that works for you, even of they arn't the latest ones.

Maybe it would be a good idea to post this info in a thread like Maya FAQ or bug and glitches. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Maya, but it's Maya that's affected by it.

Anyway, problem tackled... till the next one arrives, take care

EDIT:
    Yes, my suspicions were correct too, I installed an older driver, 7-10 (which I think my other HDD has) and now Maya works like a charm. Finally I'll be able to work again.
    Last edited by Seijiro; 04-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    Portfolio

<Dobe> Hi Dave
    <Dave> Hi
    <Dave> hows it going?

very odd i didn't think maya so heavily reallied on open gl for view port interaction

Well, Maya is crossplatform so that's why it uses OpenGL. It's pretty much the only thing it can go on.
    Portfolio

<Dobe> Hi Dave
    <Dave> Hi
    <Dave> hows it going?

Good to know you got it all sorted That's a very interesting problem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast