Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C++ or C#/XNA?

XNA Xtreme 101 - Vol. 1
    XNA Xtreme 101 - Vol. 2
    C++ / OpenGL VTM's

o and should i get VS 08? standard so i can do C++ and C# without having to have multi installs?

I'd just use the Express SKUs; they are free and will be more than capable for your needs.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

FYI when you do the C++ vtms check out the thread of information. There are some important updates in there.

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    I'd suggest getting the C#/XNA videos as they will teach you programming much better than the C++ VTMs will.
    I dont understand what you base this off of. The C++ VTMs will teach you more nuts and blots about programing, and the XNA ones will teach you OO right off the bat. Who is to say that nuts and bolts are less importent then OO design patterns? Both things must be leared at one point anyway.

The XNA vols also teach a lot of nuts and bolts also though.. so its not like either is missing out, however, I think theres a lot of scope for XNA and c# as a lot of employers perseve that .net is *the* only way to code, due to complete ignorance, true, if you're working for a gaming company they may laugh at .net but, it really depends where you want to go and for a random beginner who wants to make odd games and get into coding the xna is a very good value for money way of doing it.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    I dont understand what you base this off of. The C++ VTMs will teach you more nuts and blots about programing, and the XNA ones will teach you OO right off the bat. Who is to say that nuts and bolts are less importent then OO design patterns? Both things must be leared at one point anyway.
    Well, I own both sets of VTMs and the XNA VTMs do a much better job of teaching programming as a general concept over the C++ VTMs. While the XNA videos are focused on XNA and C#, you can still watch those videos and apply what you've learned to other languages. The C++ VTMs are geared toward C++ and only C++.

I don't know what you mean by "nuts and bolts"... if you are talking about how things are stored in memory and what not, the XNA videos go over that.

Do you own the XNA VTMs?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

I agree with owensd, the C#/XNA videos teach programming much better.

Notice how I said programming and not a language? Learning a language is useless if you don't know how to program and the XNA videos teaches you how to think like a programmer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123