Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C++ or C#/XNA?

Question C++ or C#/XNA?

i was going to buy the C++/OpenGL FULL BUNDLE ( C++ 1,2,3,4,5,6) but i was wondering would it be better to learn C#/XNA instead ? i want to make small games and mods along with some apps but every time i look for a pro and con there to vague can anyone let me know witch would be better for a kinda new coder iv try-ed books but just cant learn from them so its video time thank you.
    Last edited by zomring; 12-26-2007 at 05:42 AM.

which one?

C#/XNA all the way
    Houdini Student

When you have watched like the first couple of videos, books will start to make sense...

Now, for your question. C#/XNA gives you a finished product almost instantly, that is if you compare with C++. I would say if you are going to take this as a simple hobby and want to get to the core of it fast, use XNA.

Trust me, you will dive into other languages and libraries when you first get started. The most important thing is to get started and keep progressing on a dailybasis.

That's alpha and omega bro!

Get the first XNA volume, watch it, adapt its techniques, feel the way of thinking, be the coder, focus your brain dry of fat... You get the picture?

Besides, if you want more help just give me a Talk.Google.com call on CGMossa at Gmail DoT Com.
    Mossa "Nova" Merhi

C#/XNA, if you want it to be a hobby.
    But if you want a job you should go for C++.

Bubba, that's not entirely accurate. My team at work uses C# nearly 100% of the time as do a lot of other teams here.

If you want to get a job programming game engines, then yeah, C or C++ will likely be more beneficial for you to know but real programmers (that do it for a living) know multiple languages.

I'd suggest getting the C#/XNA videos as they will teach you programming much better than the C++ VTMs will.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Yeah, very true, some uses C# to create gameeditors and other stuff around the games and even free software gameengines.
    And in the other hand it is good to know many programing languages.

More sophisticated things are written in C# as well... such as the WPF designer in visual studio and Blend.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Just buy volume one of C#/XNA and stop worrying about what language is "best", it's a fruitless never ending search.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Chuck View Post
    C#/XNA all the way
    I don't want to give the impression I'm an ass or that your idvice is insignificant, but when responding to a post asking which is better, it's usually best to give your opinion and then explain WHY.

What makes C#/XNA better than C++? What is it used for specifically? Are there Pros and Cons to both languages that should be weighed? What's the purpose he's wanting to use this for? Is it to get into heavy engine programming for a real company or is this just a past time thing? These are all very important questions that make an opinioned answer stand out and help the user make the best judgement call on something that *could* change his life.

Now to answer the original posters question with my opinion: The answer to your question lies within answers you need to ask yourself. How much programming experience do you have already? What is the purpose of wanting to learn either language? Is this just for a fun time and make a few fun games or is there a longer goal of wanting to make something like Half-Life 2 or Bioshock? A huge question is how much effort and work do you plan on putting into it?

From what I've heard, if you don't have any programming experience at all C#/XNA from buzz is THE CREME DE LA CREME to get to *START* with programming games. It's also mainly for people that want to create games for fun that don't plan on being a huge title such as the previously mentioned. NOTE: This is not saying big game titles CAN'T be programmed in this language. It just isn't generally.

C++ is the industry standard as of right now. That could all change in time, but only time will tell. C++, in the right hands, has the potential for being more powerful than C#, but on the flip side inthe right hands C# is incredibly powerful. C++ is typically a little faster than C# when written very well. C++ is also more difficult to learn. I haven't learned C# yet but from what I understand it has a much bigger learning curve than C#. C++ is the language for guys in the long haul. It takes work, time, and patience to master and get GOOD with the language. If you invest the time though, the rewards are great, but the same can be said for C#.

So again, ask yourself some very important questions. The first being do you have any programming experience. If you don't, it's probably a good choice to start with C#/XNA. If you do, you can probably go to C++. But again...what is the purpose of learning the languages?

If this post ends up confusing you even more sorry. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions. There's many knowledgeable people that are happy to help you in any way.

As an aside: the more languages you learn the better. What looks better on a resume to a potential employer? "I know C# and C++" or "I know C#, C++, Java, VB, and Python"? Obviously the latter. It makes you much more marketable and typically a better programmer.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by hostod View Post
    Just buy volume one of C#/XNA and stop worrying about what language is "best", it's a fruitless never ending search.
    I completely disagree and this is an incredibly narrow minded way of thinking. Each and every language out there has a very specific purpose and niche. It's finding which niche you belong to that will determine which language is best. This "advice" was not helpful at all and could possibly hurt the original poster more than help him.
    Last edited by RamboMadCow; 12-26-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    "You have to be 10% smarter than the item you're trying to operate."

Quote Originally Posted by RamboMadCow
    I completely disagree and this is an incredibly narrow minded way of thinking. Each and every language out there has a very specific purpose and niche. It's finding which niche you belong to that will determine which language is best. This "advice" was not helpful at all and could possibly hurt the original poster more than help him.
    Try to understand my option, your advise is only a slightly different shade of mine. There is also nothing wrong with Big-Chuck approach from my understanding of it. I'm no mind reader but to me his post reads "Go with the C#/XNA dvds and be confident that it's the right choice". The C# XNA dvds are a introduction to programming, far extentending the scoop of use in a single language. A fine choice for a future programmer to get going with (in my n00bish option).

I think your advise is over thinking what a first time programmer should be worried about. I know before I started the the XNA dvds I would switch languages all the time in fear I had made the wrong choice. Now I understand the language wasn't as important as my skills using it. True down the road I will learn the ins and outs of more languages like C++ and Lisp. They are also great languages and possible better choices for some applications. In learning them I'm also sure I will improve my skill in using C# as well. For now I'm having a good time using C#/XNA and just making some games.

zomring, if you want to buy the C++ dvds they are also a very good choice. I don't personally own them but I've heard good things. I believe they are very tough for the first time programmer though. While the C#/XNA dvds are slow and steady, almost taking you by the hand the entire way. To me that is the better choice, I find learning to program hard enough without having my teacher move through things in a rush.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast