The Photoshop FAQ

It would be great to see some more activity in the Photoshop forum section and I thought I’d just start with an FAQ thread. I am no professional Photoshop user, so I could really use some help on this one. If you can think of any questions that should be on this list, post them here and I’ll add them (if you know the answer, too, go ahead and post that as well). I will update the thread as often as possible.

Cheers,

Julian

Last Update: 23 Nov 2007

How do I navigate quicker in Photoshop?
    Fit on screen: Double click on Hand Tool OR press CTRL+‘0’
    Actual pixels: Double click on Zoom Tool OR press ALT+CTRL+’0’
    Use hand tool on the fly: Hold down spacebar
    Use Move tool on the fly: Hold down CTRL
    Zoom in: Hold down spacebar+CTRL OR press CTRL+’+’
    Zoom out: Hold down spacebar+ALT OR press CTRL+’-‘

How do I create tileable, seamless textures?
    - Go to Filter->Other->Offset and offset your image vertically and horizontally by approximately half the image size (e.g. if your image size is 1024x1024 offset if by 512 pixel).
    - The image is now seamless at the edges but you also have two crossing seems going through the center of your image. Use the Clone Stamp Tool to carefully erase the seams

How can I create guides on the fly?
    Press CTRL+’r’ to display rulers. Click drag from either the left or top ruler into the picture to create a guide.

How do I delete single guides?
    Switch to the Move tool (‘v’) and Click drag the ruler back to the ruler until it disappears.

How can I line up my guides in the exact center of my image?
    Using the ruler: Use the crop tool to cover the entire image, don’t crop but drag the guides into the center and you will notice that they snap to crop center
    Using new guide: Go to View->New Guide and under position type “50%”. Do this for both vertical and horizontal.

How do I turn the background layer into a normal layer?
    Press CTRL+’j’ to duplicate layer and delete background OR simply rename the background layer

How do I select all visible pixels in a layer without selecting the entire layer?
    Hold down CTRL and click on the layer.

How do I change the red color of my quick mask?
    Double click on the “Quick Mask Mode” button in the Tools Palette and a Quick Mask Options Window will pop up. Here you can change the mask color, mask opacity, and whether the color indicates masking or unmasking.

How do I permanently turn on the hidden menus?
    Go to Edit->Menus and turn on visibility for all menus. If you change the set to “Photoshop Defaults” it should usually make all menus visible automatically.

How can I turn a photo into a drawing?
    1. Desaturate the photo by using Image->Adjustments->Desaturate
    2. Copy the desaturated layer by pressing CTRL+’j’
    3. Inverse the colors of the top layer (the one which you just copied) by pressing CTRL+’i’
    4. In the Layer Palette set the blending mode of the top layer to “Color Dodge” (The lighting of both layers should cancel each other out, hence giving you a white image)
    5. Apply a Gaussian Blur to the top layer; the greater the amount of blur, the darker the lines and shadows will turn out.
    6. Use the Burn and Dodge tool (‘o’) on the top layer to adjust the image to your liking

How can I pan the view with a maximized window of my document?
    Hit the ‘f’ button to switch to a full screen view

My tablet pen has lost its pressure sensitivity, how do I fix it?
    - Exit Photoshop
    - Go to the Photoshop Settings folder (usually found under c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings) and delete the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file
    - Restart Photoshop
    Last edited by Count_Zero; 11-25-2007 at 07:09 PM.
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress."

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

How do I bring a layer into a different document, but keep it in the same place?
    To bring a layer or object into another document, without it being moved, hold shift, and drag into the new window, and release.

What do the "Dodge" and "Burn" tools do?
    Ok. Quick photography lesson. Dodging and Burning are two darkroom developing techniques to change the look of the image by either darkening, Burning, or lightening, Dodging, areas of the photographic paper.

In Photoshop the same techniques can be applied by using the Dodge and Burn tools. On black and white images, the Dodge tool will lighten an area, while the Burn tool will darken it. However, on color images, the Dodge tool will desaturated an area, while the Burn tool will saturate it.

Tip: You can use the Dodge and Burn tools in a color image to create localized saturation tweaks.

What is a quick way to erase the background of an image?
    There is no real "quick" way of doing this. Probably the most intuitive way is to use quick masking. To use quick mask, deselect everything, and press Q on your keyboard. Now choose the brush tool and paint the areas that you want to keep. (They will turn pink) When finished, press Q again and it will select the area that you did not select. (White area) Now just press the delete key on your keyboard and you're done.
    Last edited by NextDesign; 12-07-2007 at 05:34 PM.

How can I hide parts of my user interface?
    - Press SHIFT + TAB to toggle the pallete’s visibility
    - Press TAB to toggle both the palette’s and tool bar’s visibility
    - Press ‘f’ to toggle Full Screen Mode

How can I reset the settings of image adjustments and filters?
    If you hold down the ALT button and click on the cancel button it will reset the tool settings. This works for pretty much any window in Photoshop that has a cancel button.

How do I get better control over the transform and selections tools?
    - Hold down shift while mouse dragging and it will keep the transformation/selection proportional.
    - Hold down ALT while mouse dragging and you will select/transform from the center
    - Hold down ALT and CTRL to select/transform proportionally and from the center simultaneously
    - Hold down CTRL while dragging a transform tool handle and you will move the handle individually
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress."

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

"My tablet pen has lost its pressure sensitivity, how do I fix it?
    - Exit Photoshop
    - Go to the Photoshop Settings folder (usually found under c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings) and delete the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file
    - Restart Photoshop"

That just saved the little hair I have left, thanks

Fill a layer

MAC: Alt+Backspace (foreground) or Cmd+Backspace (background)
    WINDOWS: Alt+Delete (foreground) or Ctrl+Delete (background)
    This command will fill an empty later with the current foreground or background colour.

Flatten layers

MAC: Cmd+Alt+Shift+E
    WINDOWS: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E

Add a new, empty layer to the top of your stack, select it and use the above command to flatten the layers in an image to sharpen the result. This adds a flattened version of the image to the new layer but leaves the layers intact too.

Merge visible Layers

MAC: Cmd+Shift+E
    WINDOWS: Ctrl+Shift+E
    This command will allow you merge all your existing layers in order to create one new layer. Beware! Once merged, they are extremely difficult to seperate.

New layer via copy

MAC: Cmd+J
    WINDOWS: Ctrl+J
    Use this command to create a new layer from an existing one. Sound complicated? Give it a go!

I have no enough idea about adobe photoshop. I will try to be expert to see your post.

I do keep in touch with photoshop since 7 years & i realize this tool is the deep sea of designing, I have been learn a lot with this tool.

Photoshop certainly is powerful even for web designs to creating html signatures and a very well documented online tutorial list. Resources like brushes to mock up templates. Its a beast. I a very surprised to see so many people still talk about corel, i have never used it but i cant imagine it being better than Photoshop. A

Thanks for the informative article. This is one of the best resources I have found in quite some time. Nicely written and great info, I really thank you for sharing it. Looking forward read more, great article. I value the post, really looking forward to read more. Roadrunner email problems