Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Using a class in the muck challenge would work perfectly well. However, it then makes it more annoying to store it in the database and read it back.. Hence I think a record is all thats really needed, a record could be argued as a class without methods or events :P

There are a lot of times when you do need a class, and if you're struggling then, post away, lets work out why! pick a class of your choosing you have floating around which is crappy and we'll fix it.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

VK, excellent. A perspective I really hadn't considered ... well, I hadn't really considered any other than my own so ...

You make some excellent points, thanks.

In retrospect and to be quite honest, if the deadlines weren't there ... it's a toss-up. I'd like to think I'd complete them.

I agree, when I saw you could use a record I though "doh! that would be so much simpler!" One reason why I didn't like using the class in the Muck was I'd get into circular references. Thankfully I leanred more about pointers nad was able to use records in the Profiler challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by VelariaKnight View Post
    ... I'd get into circular references.
    Didja know you can sometimes work around these by adding the problem unit to the uses clause in the implementation section instead of the interface. I'll have to go review if you want to know more than that

My circular reference

Ummm... I was refering to how I declared the main object.

Code:
    TMuckObject = class (TObject)
        private
        protected
        public

property Loc: TMuckObject read FLoc write SetLoc;
          property LinkTo: TMuckObject read FLinkTo write SetLinkTo;
      end;
    Where as if I used a TList and a set of records it would ahve been less convoluted and simpler to load/save to disk.

Ahhh, I see.

I went with records, shoved them into a big array of records - it was just so convenient. You followed the rules though. I sort of did.

Had the opportunity to have a big rant on borland.public.delphi.non-technical [see topic: OODesign approach in reality] the other day about the lack of persistence for objects in Delphi. Felt good.

It's so stupid from a newbie perspective. The current methodology is to write code using objects ... then what? Load all the data into them and then strip it back out when you want to save it ... Bah!

[ooops, doing it again, sorry]

... hooking up DA controls directly to a database, the shame of it ...
    <mumble> <mumble> <mumble>

Not everything is "an object" but, your records could just simply be a propery of an object - any varaible you declare in your forms private/public areas etc are basically extending your form class.. This is why people dont realise the fact of what they're doing by making the form .. you're extending the form class

the thread mentioned above
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123