Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A 1 week challenge! ** closed **

Rules:

DO NOT: (like I need to tell you)
    Copy someone elses efforts (even if its public domain) or use their knowledge to help you
    Post code, links, questions, ideas about the challenge

DO:
    JOIN IN! Its rather pointless to try and encourage you if no one bothers to take part.. even if its not the type of app you would be interested in - Personally, I dont do games.. so you really have no idea how little interest I have in these challenges, but I would still do it.

OPTIONAL:
    If you're finding it an easy challenge, PM for how you can make it "more interesting"

What are you going to make?

The game of life

1. Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies, as if by loneliness.
    2. Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies, as if by overcrowding.
    3. Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives, unchanged, to the next generation.
    4. Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours comes to life.
    5. Any cell must be no bigger than 5x5 pixels, and obviously can be as small as 1x1 but must show.
    6. Must have a variable cycle span from 20ms through to 1000ms which the user picks.
    7. Must have a minimum grid of 50x50 and a maximum of 1280x1024

Eg: A little history can be read here

You have till wednesday 12 midday (GMT) eg 24th Oct.

PM me with your questions, and links to code.
    Last edited by LizKimber; 10-27-2007 at 04:39 PM.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Okay, will do. It's amazing how much code from minesweeper I can use for this .

Well only Dragonclaw has joined in so far.. Im guessing people just dont want to learn - the challenges remain at a similar level till you miserable bunch join in! If you feel its beneath you then contact me on how to make it harder

If you find it to hard, and you have questions, you have been invited to ask.. what more do you need?
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Well...

I think maybe it isn't a matter of not wanting to learn. It's the committee syndrome in action AFAIC. Everybody says they want to be on the comittee but only a handleful actualy do the work.

I do challenges which will help expand my own knowledge. And I'd do tis one if I was in any shape too.

I'll stop now as my synical side's starting to rear it's head.

VK, You could be right, however, it feels like a church choir, we have around 30 odd people here, at a guess, with Adam blue and I standing at the front, singing away, occasionally a voice joins in but its a little weak but its there, but dies out again say after the chorus, for the most, people standing there reading along and mouthing the words..

If you're not well you have an excuse, and I appreciate that you've taken the time to post. However, people are here, 68+ reads of my looking for the new VM posts answers that.. If you have time to read, you have time to do a 1 line post.

if people want to learn they will need to say something, few people answered blues question asking what they were interested, thus implying, they arent interested, few people took part in the db challenge (despite starting from a working app!) and its not like we see any db questions in the forum.. We've had graphicsy challenges, logic challenges, fun challenges, db challenges..

Im kinda out of ideas, its like talking to my dog, only eat least he wags his tail and paws at me for a bit more attention.

The 2 challenges up at the moment are deathly simple, if the entries dont increase, its unlikely I will do more.

More to the point Ive already noticed Blue and Adam dont seem to be posting as much as they used to, I will probably feel I should join them and perhaps the 3 of us will walk off leaving you guys to sing on your own and descover no ones actually doing anything. As it feels I spend a lot of time talking to myself.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

LizRiley the thing about these challenges noone wants to do them because there isn't a prize at the end.. Since have u noticed we had a ton of challenges around here but only a few people ever do them.

Unless it's a contest by buzz himself. So if you ask me the challenges around here are useless big time. well to those people who don't want to really learn anything.

Just take a nice little look xna.. me and a few others around here been trying to get people interested into xna, but noone would accept the fact that it is pretty good.. Until buzz came out with the xna classes then people are interested in it..

So no real point in helping those people who don't want to really try and help themselvies first.

Sn4k36, people shouldnt have to be bribed to learn.

However, I fear you are right, there is no point in helping people who dont want to be helped. Im just trying to warn them that my continued efforts to try will soon cease if they dont start to try.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

I jumped on the bandwagon when the Delphi vids were made however I did so only to taste the language and see if I liked it, so far I like it a lot, but I wanted to branch out and taste a bit of each language before I dive into learning just 1 fluently.

I think your contests are/were are great idea for those who wish to learn, but as Sn4k3 said, not to many people are in it for that "Learning experience" which is sad...most like to be led by the hand as that's how their used to learning, anything that requires even the least bit of independent thinking is a big NO-NO!

I'm just not interested in joining these contests at the since I am learning other languages at the moment, but I am sure I will make a full swing back to Delphi sooner than not, and you can bet I will participate.

Quote Originally Posted by LizRiley View Post
    More to the point Ive already noticed Blue and Adam dont seem to be posting as much as they used to, I will probably feel I should join them and perhaps the 3 of us will walk off leaving you guys to sing on your own and descover no ones actually doing anything. As it feels I spend a lot of time talking to myself.
    I wouldn't blame you if you did. The DB challenge puzzled me in that it wasn
    't hard. It took some digging on my part but I expected that. I also did some extra digging about using Access. The oct challenge had me scratching my head for awhile but I got it done.Maybe the church does ned to fall silent. I'm certainly tired of the people asking "when's the next VTM" coming out whe that questions been answered several thousand times.

VK

VK: maybe it does, hopefully the shake will wake a few of the sleepers and we can gather a little steam..

the 1 week challenge: Ive had 2 entries now!!! yay!!
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast