Thread: delphi book

delphi book

hey can someone recomment me a delphi book i really want to learn delphi i cant really be arsed to wait for the vids i wanna learn by my own mistakes and really get into delphi so thought someone mite know good book ?

Well, you can learn the basics of delphi, then decompile programs starting from simple programs to more complex programs. It'd give you a good idea of what a general program consists of.

hey can someone recomment me a delphi book i really want to learn delphi i cant really be arsed to wait for the vids i wanna learn by my own mistakes and really get into delphi so thought someone mite know good book ?
    Simple ... Marco Cantù

I believe that Mastering Delphi 7 was the last "all Delphi" book and would be my recommendation. Mastering Borland Delphi 2005 contains a bit of .not stuff ... maybe not enough to bug you too much - I never bought it, so can't really comment. There are a couple of chapters at the end of MD7 about ".not" but they're introductory and easy to avoid. You can also find a Pascal tutorial, aimed at Delphi programmers with little Pascal background called Essential Pascal and another introducing Delphi, called Essential Delphi. Both free. Other opinions/recommendations may vary ... but they'd probably be wrong .... anyway, you need a collection.

What version of Delphi are you using?

There's a huge list of books here on the Delphi Wiki
    GL
    Last edited by TDelphiHobbyist; 09-30-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Hes right you know, having "1" book is a bad idea, as they can be rather tough to sit and read, even I have a few books.

If you search round the internet there are a number of ebooks you can find too.. the key is to find one that works for you, only you can answer that - try your local library, borrow a bunch find some you like and buy those.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

alright cool yeah i did for vb6 have 3-4 books which made is easyer to learn because everyone decribes things differently so you can pick things out if you know what i mean :P

yeah didnt know what book dont really know alot about delphi only that its code is pascal but borland have put gui on it sorta thing i got delphi 2007 for win 32 but i just cant get along with borland delphi gui just so used to vb6 like delphi doesent have line tool, its like just a black you can put on your form just make a box if you like bugs me :P just have to get used to it thx guys.

Im trying to picture that from vb6 (much as I hated vb, always did, as vb just always annoyed me :P)

I dont remember any black things you could put on your form and make a box if you wanted, unless you mean something like TShape?

Btw, if you knew VB picking up Delphi should be a peice of cake.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Well I for one love the one by Ivan Hlandi - Inside delphi 2006

" Btw, if you knew VB picking upi Delphi should be a peice of cake. " as in coming from vb to delphi

Styx-v that book good then?

Well I for one love the one by Ivan Hlandi - Inside delphi 2006
    I've got that one as well and I most certainly agree - great book. The reason I recommended MD7 instead was primarily the smatterings of C++ stuff in Ivan's book and although it covers all the bases, I didn't find it to be as in depth as MD7. In retrospect Inside Delphi 2006 might be a better start for a Turbo Delphi experience ... it is, after all, written about that IDE.

Like I mentioned ... a library is the best way to go. It does take a while to get built up though.

hmmmmmmm it sounds hard :P ill try havent really nothing to lose delphi looks so cool and i want to make sweet little programs thx for ya help dude
    Last edited by acidrain; 10-01-2007 at 10:22 AM.