Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mail Message/SMTP

Im using turbo delphi at home which does not feature any indy components but my project is using Mail Message/SMTP (college network has delphi 7 therefor indy components) is there anyway around this?

$eymour.

Im using turbo delphi at home which does not feature any indy components but my project is using Mail Message/SMTP (college network has delphi 7 therefor indy components) is there anyway around this?
    It's my understanding that there is, but you must instantiate the controls at runtime. However, getting it running may not be the only issue you're looking at. I don't know a lot about Indy [kicked the tires a couple of times] but it's a "bundled" 3rd party "limited" tool [but commercial otherwise] may not be legal if you use it this way. You'd be much much better off [IMHO] coughing up the $90 US [although I've seen slightly cheaper] student price for the Pro. I'm not even certain that Indy comes with the Pro but I expect it does as it is the Win32 Personality of BDS2006.
    Not a lot of help but ...

Its perfectly legal, and its not that hard: to be honest, smtp isnt that hard to deal with even by hand using simple sockets the hard way eg

Code:
    telnet local_smtp_server 25
    helo mydomain.com
    mail from: me@mydomain.com
    rcpt to: you@yourdomain.com
    data
    Subject: This is a test message
    Blah blah blah
    Stuff stuff stuff
    quit
    It is simple text, even at its worst with multiple format messages, its all dealt with as text.

However, the indy smtp stuff even comes with an example. If it doesnt come with the demos (havent checked in turbo as I have turbo pro to hand) you can download it from the indy website.

As a point, the Indy components supplied arent limited or different in anyway to the stuff on their website
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

<sigh> Sorry about that $eymour I really should have left that one alone. I almost cost you $90 ... won't happen again.

Na dont worry. The pro is worth the $90.. you can add *any* components then..
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Doesnt matter to much as i have done all the coding for the email section already at college, just when i compile at home it get the SMTP doesnt exist remove.. blah blah

Using the indy components was a nice way of doing it, my teacher had never done it like that before and asked that i send him my code for future reference.

Is it pathed? you should have Indy9 or 10 depending on preference in your path - if not, add it.. and if you cant find indy9 or 10 source/dcu's... download them

oh and if you placed it on the form - under explorer it wont work if you open the form as the component cant be added - runtime creation only!!
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Sorry dont understand pathed??

Ah the joys of growing up and only knowing windows..

Take at Tools->Options->Environment options->Delphi Options->Library - Win32

Look at library path, if your indy directory for delphi aint in it.. it wont find it.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Un-freaking-believable !!!

Finally realized, I was thinking IntraWeb and saying Indy and really ... I don't know enough about either to be flapping the gums. Was probably wrong if it was IntraWeb as well.

Sometimes, I can be such a moron

... but I'll get over it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast