Thread: what now?

what now?

I recently completed a "tic-tac toe" game and I wanted to know which game I should work on next. I have worked on more complicated things then this, but I just thought that it might be good to kind of start over (since I skipped all the easy stuff and went straight to the FRICKEN IMPOSSIBLE TO DO STUFF!). It would be nice if someone could post a few games that I should remake/make so that I don't make more threads like these when I forget what the that title of this thread is called.
    thanx
    -caleb, future rich guy and programmer extraordinaire

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
    A very good page for beginners and everyone who want to get into game code.
    This is also a good page: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/des...res/makegames/

Wish you the best.

no offence, but I have already read those pages, thank you though. before I go head long into windows api stuff (which I hate) I would like to do one more console app, any suggestions?

usually people start with a pong type clone or tetris. Pacman can also be fun to make.
    C++, 3D OpenGL and Game Programming video tutorials:
    www.MarekKnows.com
    Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

okay, I guess I will do a pong game. since I like to do everything as un"hacky" as possible, I want to make the ball bounce as real as possible. does anyone know of any good physics tutorials?

you dont have to use win api. There are alot of lib specially written for "small" games. Trye one of them, I can recommand SDL.

Quote Originally Posted by mastersmith98 View Post
    okay, I guess I will do a pong game. since I like to do everything as un"hacky" as possible, I want to make the ball bounce as real as possible. does anyone know of any good physics tutorials?
    For a pong game you don't want real physics as it wouldn't make a very good game.

For the most part when the ball collides with the paddle, you want to reverse the horizontal velocity. when ball collides with the top or bottom just reverse the ball vertical velocity.

If you want to make the more challenging, increase the velocity slightly with each collision.

Hope this helps

thing2k

PS SDL and OpenGL are a good direction if you hate Win API

Wii Friendcode: 6478 2149 1540 7684

thanx for the help

I would suggest Tetris.

However, if you want to make a huge leap for text based games, take a look at Rogue. Expect it to take a few months to create that game.

You could look into doing things like the Hyperion game they made in XNA (it got published into the lounge I think, so something in the style of the old infocom games, or, even take a look at the challenge I set the delphi crowed for November, which is actually a lot simpler than it sounds, if you hit a good run is less than an hour which is to make a single player version of a "mud" from the good old days see : http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=157428
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"