Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return codes

Return codes

Just wondering if there are different return codes other than 0 (success) 1 (failed)

int main()
    {
    // do something

return 0;
    // return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

yes. typically any non-zero number is an error and the value of the number indicates what the error is. for example 1 = "file not found", 2 = "divide by zero", etc.
    Chuck
    Digital Spectra
    (rendering with pixels)

Well it depends on what type of return codes the function has, a bool return value can only be true or false, an int return code can be any valid integer, a char return value can be anything from -128 - 127.
    You can also define your own return codes using #define directives.

That is the purpose of return codes so that you can check when something fails or not.

example:
    Code:
    int MyFunc()
    {
        if (...) // imagine some error check
           return -1;

if (...) // imagine some other error check
           return -2;

return 0; // Function succeeded
    }

int main()
    {
        if (MyFunc() != 0)
            return 1; // The function failed, exit out

return 0; // the function succeeded
    }
    Last edited by Notsosuperhero; 09-26-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Or the more modern method is to pass exceptions, which can be tested and dealt with.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Exceptions are expensive and aren't always the right solution. Exceptions should be used for exceptional cases, return codes have a lot of different applications.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

I came up with a question like this not too long ago. One of my instructors insisted we returned EXIT_SUCCESS. He claimed that not all operating systems use the return value of 0 to indicate a successful exit.

I looked up how VS declares EXIT_SUCCESS and it pretty much just defines it as 0. Since the definition was so straight forward I just let the question slip to the back of my mind.

Does anyone know of any architecture or OS that does not use the value 0 to indicate a successful exit?

No... I don't know a single one because it is usually used to chain together multiple command line apps based on the success or failure of the previous one.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

basically if you're doing it from a batch file, if its not 0 its an error, just go with that. Error codes are specific to the app.. and in fact, some apps dont give them.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

so its the OS that knows what the return codes are and NOT the IDE (compiler)

I also wondered why some people used EXIT_SUCCESS instead of RETURN 0... now I know that they are the same pretty much.

Thanks, it seemed rather silly to me to have to include cstdlib on everything I made, just to have EXIT_SUCCESS. But hey, anything for a good grade, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast