Managed/Unmanaged C++

Hi All

Does anyone know of a decent resource, weather book or site, on managed C++, that includes details on mixing manage and unmanaged code.

I'm trying to tie what was a console program to a Windows Forms GUI, but I keep hitting brick walls. So instead of google for a way round each wall, I want to learn Managed C++ from the ground up.

Thanks

thing2k

Wii Friendcode: 6478 2149 1540 7684

Well... are you looking for C++/CLI or C++ with Managed Extensions? C++/CLI is the new "managed" C++. There are some decent books out there, I think one is call "C++/CLI".

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

To tell the truth I'm not completely sure, hence the need to learn. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 C++ Express Edition, if thats any help.

What I'm trying to do is move the functions of a C/C++ console app to a GUI app. I thought I'd make use of Windows Forms, as I've some experience with .NET, but only VB.NET (module at uni).

The more I work on it, the more I thing I might look at another GUI API.

Thanks

thing2k

So you want to use C++/CLI then. It's fully .NET compliant, you just need to know C++ and how to reference things in the framework.

With C++/CLI, you can call normal C++ code as usual.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Thanks for the help owen.

Now the biggest annoyance is the pain of converting between System::String, std::string and c-string.

Cheers

thing2k

Quote Originally Posted by thing2k View Post
    TNow the biggest annoyance is the pain of converting between System::String, std::string and c-string.
    Write your own string class with overloaded operators 8)
    I didn't mean to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    you just need to know C++ and how to reference things in the framework.
    Do you know of any decent references, either book or site. The msdn help for C++/CLI seems somewhat lacking. ie: most examples exclude C++, usually favoring C# and VB.

Cheers

thing2k

All of the MSDN documentation for .NET shows how to get to the stuff in C#, VB.NET, and C++/CLI... sure, some of the examples don't always show all of the languages, but usually they do. What example are you looking at that you are having troubles with?