Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have a board, user interface, but my pieces don't yet move and I'm down in London now until next weekend.

Sorry to let you down Liz but I'm gonna have to step out
    Guide to Learning Delphi - A list of resources and tips. If you have a question read this.
    Delphi Fusion Delphi Articles and Forum
    My Blog - Random Delphi related ramblings by a hobby programmer.
    Delphi Fusion Team - Join my SETI@home and ClimatePrediction.Net Team

You see what power is - holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them!

no worries, to be honest we should almost ban Blue, Adam and me from joining in..

Well.. my head has been thinking of the RPG game again, and doing text based tutorials and so on.. but, following the last few challenges and the lack of interest, and having given a month this time..

Im certainly not going to bother for a while..

People seem to be clambering for more vtms but not actually wanting to learn, they just want to recreate src following the vtms..
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

I am with Liz on this, personally I feel our time is being wasted on this, its a great community her on Buzz, but there is no point in us more experienced people playing around doing little game like applications when the newbies don't want to learn.

I think we should wait till you all tell us what you want before we use any more time on any of this.

Adam

I noticed the thread about why people are learning delphi is nearly quieter than a quiet thing.

Its really frustrating to see various posts of people wanting the more vtms, but at the same time, people dont seem to be able to respond with a commited "I want to learn". In fact, any pokings in this area seem to be treated more like we've asked something far too personal..

In the almost a year that Buzz's vtms have been out, it doesnt feel like the community as a whole have moved much beyond that last vtm. Then, when I look at someone like Adam who picked delphi up must have been around the same time I guess.. I look at the difference. Now, ok, Adam knew another language first, so the concepts were already there, but, its not like playing with Delphi has slowed him down.. and its important to note that once you know 1 programming language and you understand how to turn your thoughts into a program, learning another language is a much less painful and faster process..

This week, Ive been messin with c# in fact following the XNA 101 course. In fact, its that thats been reminding me I wanted to do that RPG app..

The RPG app is a *lot* of work, covering a lot of angles within delphi, in fact, verging into areas Ive only poked gently into, so it would have been a learning zone for probably all of us, but, I dont think most would be able to design it.. even given 99.9% of the spec, even if it was down to the level of object named xxx, needs these properties, these methods, understand those messages.. etc..

I guess Im disapointed, I hoped all the people here, who wanted to learn delphi, were more like Blue, Adam and me, who seem to be the kind that on deciding Delphi was on the radar, put a large chunk of all available time into getting into it in as much and as many ways possible, reading tons of potentially dull material to learn that 1 thing that you needed to know, typing up endless "test" programs playing with new things you've learnt, or want to learn, or trying to speed up things you think should be faster..

Ive an 8gb USB pen nearly full of them.. and they're only ones Ive written in the last year!

Actually, the best ananlogy I can think of is this is like standing in a music lesson of a handful of people, some are there because mommy made them, others have chosen to be there. Those who mommy made come, feel they are trying really hard, but, the reality is it wasnt their choice, they wanted to do football or something, and while they do try, their level of try is far below that of those who choose to be there..
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Hi Liz,

The Moderators/Pros on this forum seem to be experiencing quite a bit of frustration with the newbies not quite living up to their expectations. Make no mistake ... I think that it is very, very generous of all of you, to take the time involved in participating here to the extent that all of you do.

I was pointed in this direction because I love to work on exactly the types of challenges you are presenting. In fact it was a comment on a blog post of mine that did it. Just sitting down to have a bit of fun with Delphi and pick up the knowledge [as well as the additional comfort working with Delphi] that comes with it. I do have to be honest and mention that the graphics [as I've imagined the requirements] involved in snakes n ladders put me off initially, but ... I'll probably give it a spin.

So here I am, and all the challenges are either finished or closing within hours. Naturally, my first reaction is "darn, I missed it" and you tend to immediately join the "Well, I'm not wasting my time" choir. When in actual fact, all I missed was the closing date ... who the heck cares about the closing date. Maybe, if I decide to complete one challenge or another, I'll miss out getting my code reviewed - or even looked at. Bummer. No, seriously - it's important to me so I'll likely be taking part in the most recent one to ensure I'm included. I still plan on working on the others, and I'll post my results - maybe I'll get feedback, maybe I won't.

Yea, I am actually going somewhere with this - provided you're interested that is. Why not just start a challenge thread, without a closing date. Some newb stumbling along in a year or two will still be able to take up the challenge, bring the thread back to life and be able to take part. Their submission will get evaluated by whomever is interested at the time. If the thread/challenge dies off ... what have you lost?

Quote Originally Posted by LizRiley View Post
    Actually, the best ananlogy I can think of is this is like standing in a music lesson of a handful of people, some are there because mommy made them, others have chosen to be there. Those who mommy made come, feel they are trying really hard, but, the reality is it wasnt their choice, they wanted to do football or something, and while they do try, their level of try is far below that of those who choose to be there..
    ... maybe they arrived ready to rock, sheet music in hand but the door to the hall was closed

I'll be taking the existing challenges to work [I work at sea for a living] and hope to have something to submit in a month or so ... workload depending

Just my opinion of course ... been wrong many, many times before

--
    Dave

Well, welcome aboad Dave!

Part of the point of the challenges was to continue those who have been asking for vtms with something to do, nothing stops people from doing the challenges after, they just wont be announced as victor of all.. In fact, it would be nice if people did do the challenges.

If you arrive after, long as you dont peek at whatanyone else did, you can still challenge yourself.

I have till tomorrow evening to decide if Im going to come up with one for November, but, no ones shown much response to what they want to do, no ones joined in much with why they're learning delphi - its hard to set stuff when in a month 3 people said they were gonna make one, 2 of whom should have been able to complete it in < 30 minutes.

btw if they were standing ready to rock, music in hand but the doors closed - they have been invited to push the bell, but people dont ring (and it does have batteries!)

The graphics for your snakes and ladders dont have to be profeessional snakes and ladders 3d marketable quality - heck, you've not seen anything Ive drawn.. I can only draw a line coz they invented a ruler :P

As Ive seen it, because there isnt like a once a month release of vtms people seem to stop comming or trying because there havent been any for a long time.

It was pointed out (in a removed post) that the likes of Blue, Adam and I could make vtm's by someone, and its true we could (although this person seemed to believe we are paid to do so.. of which of course we arent) but, to be honest, I tried and the size of vtm and quality of the sound on mine just was so horrid it couldnt be put up. Id also say that its not something I would want to do lightly and create random things. Much as my written skills are poor, Id rather do it in writing. Hence the tutorial on my own site. (Which Adam keeps reminding me I should put up and do more of)

I can think of plenty of challenges, the problem is, at the moment, with the ones Ive done so far, its hard to push people into stretching what they know slightly, and the challenges Ive been thinking of this week just dont feel inspiring it would almost certainly seem more intimidating than inspiring.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Well, welcome aboad Dave!
    Thanks Liz.
    Hopefully it won't be "take take take" and I'll be able to give a little as well.

Part of the point of the challenges was to continue those who have been asking for vtms with something to do, nothing stops people from doing the challenges after, they just wont be announced as victor of all.. In fact, it would be nice if people did do the challenges.
    Yea, I guess my point was simply that "Closing Date" has such a "Too late - you missed out" ring to it when you do arrive late. One of the many points I missed is that you're [at least I think you are] keeping contestant code and then "releasing" it at the end.

If you arrive after, long as you dont peek at whatanyone else did, you can still challenge yourself.
    Awww ... you take all the fun out of it.
    Seriously though those that peek only ruin the ending for themselves. I'd rather ask a question if I get to a consternating issue. Too much other stuff gets revealed reading code.

I have till tomorrow evening to decide if Im going to come up with one for November, but, no ones shown much response to what they want to do, no ones joined in much with why they're learning delphi - its hard to set stuff when in a month 3 people said they were gonna make one, 2 of whom should have been able to complete it in < 30 minutes.
    Sorry to hear that. But having said that ... I can't promise that I'd be able to take up the challenge myself. I'd like to. Does it have anything to do with implementing an OPF [I'm working on learning/evaluating both tiOPF and PressObjects] in a Win32 desktop application? I jest [on the challenge content bit], of course

Seems a shame, with those numbers, to pass on an opportunity for what boils down to a semi-private tutor/mentor. That thought process seems a bit wonky to me.

"Less that 30 min" ... out of my league, but I may eventually get to that level.

btw if they were standing ready to rock, music in hand but the doors closed - they have been invited to push the bell, but people dont ring (and it does have batteries!)
    Good point ... just leads back to my previous comment that there is an excellent resource here and few seem to be stepping up to take advantage of that ... wonky.

The graphics for your snakes and ladders dont have to be profeessional snakes and ladders 3d marketable quality - heck, you've not seen anything Ive drawn.. I can only draw a line coz they invented a ruler :P
    No, but it does have to [at least] give the impression that it is in fact a snake/ladder - unless of course you change the name to "noodle looking things N climby looking things".

"3D" ... ROFLAMO.

It was pointed out (in a removed post) that the likes of Blue, Adam and I could make vtm's by someone, and its true we could ...
    Ahhh, yes - you do the work, I watch. The only one that really knows it in the end is you - I "might" get it if I run through "your" code enough times.

You "know", when you can "teach".

I can think of plenty of challenges, the problem is, at the moment, with the ones Ive done so far, its hard to push people into stretching what they know slightly, and the challenges Ive been thinking of this week just dont feel inspiring it would almost certainly seem more intimidating than inspiring.
    It would be a shame to waste them ... maybe post them on your site?? Dunno

Well, I'll do what I can to catch up and take up any new challenges where I possibly can. It'll be a challenge in itself but passing up on an opportunity like this is just ... [ahem] silly.

If you chuck it in ... you chuck it in. It'd be a shame, although I can certainly understand why if you do.
    Last edited by TDelphiHobbyist; 09-29-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDelphiHobbyist View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But having said that ... I can't promise that I'd be able to take up the challenge myself. I'd like to. Does it have anything to do with implementing an OPF [I'm working on learning/evaluating both tiOPF and PressObjects] in a Win32 desktop application? I jest [on the challenge content bit], of course
    No it was still game based but it was way too dynamic.. Its one Ive set myself to show I know c# well enough (my true c# learning time? about 4 days and.. Ive kinda finished my puzzle without the aid of books, and copy/paste too).. Basically its a single player MUD - where you can build new rooms and objects.. but while its actually not hard to do there are plenty of places you an make a moron of yourself It would have involved a class, just the one, but - many instances of it.. but, Im not sure most would know how to write one, let alone how to manage multiple instances, and not leak.. I just cant think of a way to break it down any smaller - originally I posted an RPG game, a little like nethack/rogue/moria and was going to walk them through building it, but it turned to poop and I walked away from that. Anyway, my c# one has registering commands so I can add them, add 1 line and its in and working.. Its a fun thing to write.. In fact, sod it, I will set it.. and well when no one bothers... we'll know where we stand.

"Less that 30 min" ... out of my league, but I may eventually get to that level.
    No, but it does have to [at least] give the impression that it is in fact a snake/ladder - unless of course you change the name to "noodle looking things N climby looking things".
    You havent seen my drawings then :P To be seriously honest, if you google snakes and ladders in their picture stuff.. theres enough boards on it.. its just the moving the counters up ladders, downsnakes and about really.. Which is why its so disaopinting that pople havent even tried this one. (And noodles and funny chunky line things would be fine.. )
    Delphi !ROCKS!

I have been working furiosuly for last 3 days to get a entry in. But I have found I have made a bad fundimental error and am going to have to rewrite most of code So i have missed deadline. Just Wanted to let you know there is interest in your challenges,and I am glad you have decided to set another one which has me total confused at moment how to procede with. But I do intend to try. Won't leave till last moment this time ( month seems very long but then its gone before you know it ).

It sure does :P

And yes, deadline passed - no entries.
    Challenge voided.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123