Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Challange Ended:make a game!

So,

take up on the last challenges has been poor to say the least. This time, I want for you to look inside yourself and ask yourself why you arent taking part, if you dont think you can do it, why not ask some questions so you can, if you're a little short on time, try, you might surprise yourself so far, the challenges should take minutes, not hours..

Challenge of the day to be completed with sources got to me by 7th Sep (you have till midday 7th sep GMT, as I go on holiday on the saturday and will want to have looked and completed by then) is

Make a version of minesweeper

words of wisdom:

1. Pick 1 size for your minefield to keep it simple, if you get time at the very end, then and only then, add more sizes
    2. any given area of your minefield is either blank, a number or a mine
    3. the game must be timed
    4. function is greater than frills - make it work, worry later about how it looks or sounds add those later if you have time
    5. like the windows version, should you click on a totally blank square it should expand out and display the first row of numbers in an area.
    6. Get a version is a place holder and for early evaluaition and feedback

Points will be scored on:

1. Features available
    2. Playability
    3. speed

You can PM me and ask me anything you like related to this challenge.

PS
    If you find yourself really struggling, and want to do this but are really worried about how stuck you are, dont be, I wont make any of the questions or problems public, and will assist as much as I feasably can without writing any of it for you

Time is up..

I shall be looking hard at the entries in and letting you know soon!
    Last edited by LizKimber; 09-07-2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Times up!
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Cool, I am in and will find time,,,, well hope so

Sounds good. I might give this one a try.

like the windows version, should you click on a totally blank square it should expand out and display the first row of numbers in an area.
    Could you elaborate on this please?

I think I'm in too. Hope I have time

@Adryan: What Liz means is what happend in this picture.

I only clicked the field marked by the red dot, and all the other fields were uncovered

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonclaw1988 View Post
    I think I'm in too. Hope I have time

@Adryan: What Liz means is what happend in this picture.

I only clicked the field marked by the red dot, and all the other fields were uncovered
    The link doesn't work.

I know what happens when you click an empty field in Minesweeper, what I am not sure about is the way it uncovers the other fields. Does it uncover all fields until it finds numbered fields on all sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Adryan View Post
    The link doesn't work.

I know what happens when you click an empty field in Minesweeper, what I am not sure about is the way it uncovers the other fields. Does it uncover all fields until it finds numbered fields on all sides?
    That's correct.

i dunno if ill enter(just barely started learning, but i have a suggestion for a different contest(cuz u made it sound like it was a regular thing). I think that a constest for making tetris(idk how often its a game, if ever) would be a challenge

Well, minesweeper is actually an easier game to code hence I picked it.

A slight rant: It would seem that everyone was happy to make a flee because they were 100% shown how to make it from start to end, and a few people made some tweaks and did their own graphics and everyone seemed happy.

However, from my perspective it does feel like when someone hasnt hand held it start to finish, people dont want to join in, and this I dont understand.

Everyone whos posted a challenge like this has said, PM if you have questions, and yet, few questions have come in, it seems people just dont want to try any challenges and practice their new skills and learn a little more, but at the same time, they want to learn more.. One of the key skills of coding is an ability to teach yourself as well as the computer how to do new things.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Delphi hates me, and google seems to have been instructed not to assist.

For this challenge I have created bitmaps

With Bitmap do
    For I := 0 to 11 do
    Begin
    Create.Tbitmap;
    Height := 20;
    Width := 20;
    Etc…

But I can not draw multiple bitmaps onto a TPanel, and I can not work out how to give them an onclick event.

Please can someone help as this is really confusing. The code above is not complete as I don’t have turbo explorer here.

Thank you in advance.
    Today is a good day to ..........

Firstly, you are creating a huge leak there, you've created 12 bitmaps, but only got access to 1 of them. Secondly, use of with is a BAD thing!!

However, tpanel is probably not the best component for what you're trying to do, Id also say that, it might be better to use an existing component than make your own at this time. TImage maybe more of what you're looking for looking at your lines of thinking.
    Delphi !ROCKS!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast