Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of posting a question?

Please read the following:

1. Please post which version of delphi you have, it may influence a reply, such as the explorer version doesnt allow component installation.. previous personal versions of delphi meant you couldnt use databases with any ease and also couldn't share any of your exes with people.. so it is important.

2. When you post your problem make sure you tell them all the things they need to know! How do you know that? you're fairly new to programming, imagine you're trying to explain your problem to someone who also has no idea, they dont know what you've thought, what you're trying to achieve, any code snippet has to be complete, people need to know all the variable types, any values you've set, any errors, the expected behavior and what it does you didnt expect it to do. Even down to why you did it the way you did. Yes it may seem like a lot of thought to write it down but, no one here will know what you're doing or thinking.. so you need to tell us

3. Have you looked anywhere to help yourself? Nearly all the questions posted here that werent specific to the buzz vtm's have an answer on google in the first 5 hits. If you check google you could get help imediately, not when someone here next passes by. Have you looked on the codegear newsgroups (can be found as http://newsgroups.borland.com .. delphi groups start with borland.public.delphi ) you can search them with either http://delphi.newswhat.com which has a few selected or, http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33614731 but then hey, you were gonna google that right?)

4. What things do you need to make your code work? files? databases? we'll need to know those too.. It might be easier if you include a zip file with your post.

5. Before you post your question, copy and paste it into notepad, close the website, come back in an hour, and re-read your post, does it still make sense to you? If you came across the post in a forum would you understand all that the person wanted?

Its not we dont want to help you, but it saves you time, and stress as well as ours.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Moderators/Administrators should make this topic "Sticky".

very well done, Liz.

what pinache. recommendation to sticky.

Well, i disagree with some points...

Let's see my situation...

I'm student and I need to go to school (well, not right now because it's summer), but, when I wake up I need to go to school so i quickly post every questions here and when i am back from school my questions are answered and I can continue programming my stuff... I just don't have so much time to search in all those sites... =)

Well, but that's only IMO.

You don't have so much time, you mean finding a solution on your own?

You rather have someones else solve the problem for you... with that attitude you're not going to get far.

Liz has given you sites to look at, look at them. She knows more then many others about this subject, it would be wise to listen to her.

--
    You learn more when you take the time and try to tacke the problem yourself then just use a given solution.

Intelext, funny..

I go to work, I get there for 7am, I work for about 9 hours, I come home, I have a life, I do plenty of work on the side, your comment reads very much along the lines of "your time is less valuable than mine and why should I put time into it when you can do it for me"
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

looks like sticky content

I just posted my opinion. If you disagree it doesen't mean it's incorrect. Let's not make any drama of that. Sorry if I did some offence to someone.

You didn't offend anyone, I think.

It's just that we all have things to do, and you made it sounds like we would just have to solve whatever problem you have despite the fact that we have a life of our own aswell. I'm also a student, I know where you're comming from. But if I have a problem I almost always try to find a solution first instead of asking it here. You just learn more that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Intelext View Post
    I just don't have so much time to search in all those sites... =)
    I would have to say that any time you invest in researching a problem refines your ability to research and therefore any subsequent times you have a problem finding a solution on your own should become easier. People who combine mentor based learning and self learning are more successful.

At the end of the day what do you learn more from copying answers or understanding the problem and the solution?
    Guide to Learning Delphi - A list of resources and tips. If you have a question read this.
    Delphi Fusion Delphi Articles and Forum
    My Blog - Random Delphi related ramblings by a hobby programmer.
    Delphi Fusion Team - Join my SETI@home and ClimatePrediction.Net Team

You see what power is - holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast