vray pre rendercalculations?

Hello,

i am trying to work with Vray. comming from Brazil R/S.
    it seems |Vray takes a long time precalculating 4 passes before the actual rendering.
    I was just wondering what it is doing there? , Brazil starts rendering faster.
    The actual Rendering in Vray is pretty fast though.

is there a way to cut the time there.. is it always doing 4 passes.? or should i change my settings somewhere.

thanks
    too old to become the best,
    so i'll just try to have fun with it.

Sounds like you turned on "Use Interpolation" for the glossy reflections or refractions in at least one of your materials.

ok,, i will check that when i am at home.
    so it shouldnt do the 4 passes precalculation?

edit: checked this but interpolation is already off.
    any other suggestions.. or is this just normal in vray?
    Last edited by stez; 07-23-2007 at 02:35 PM.
    too old to become the best,
    so i'll just try to have fun with it.

Hey,

These passes are creating the irradiance map, which is used by vray for calculating GI. 4 passes is default, and you can lower it if you like.

Under "Renderer>>Irradiance Map>>Built-in Presets" you can change the current preset to one of the options. You can also set it to custom and control the "Basic Parameters" manually, rather than relying on a preset. View the documentation to see what each value controls.

It's also worth noting that you can use other GI methods (besides irradiance map) by changing the primary and secondary bounce GI engine under "Renderer>>Indirect Illumination" Again, refer to the documentation to read about each of these engines and their pros and cons.

If you are rendering an animation with no moving objects (eg. an architectural visualisation with only a moving camera) you can store irradiance maps for use in the entire animation, so they need not be re-calculated for each frame. This is also covered in the documentation and there are a few tutorials on this online.

Well, that's probably enough for now!

-Jeremy