Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Agents Faq

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    Heh, you don't think you could get through all that content over the weekend?
    LOL, just a bit ago I did sum up the projected length of the videos and calculated how long it takes to only watch them. Not speaking of really understanding and applying what you learn.... lots of fun stuff to keep us busy I guess

owensd: on another note, not asking for explicit references you used or stuff, but do you have some good recommendations on books or so that you think worth buying and that could later help with understanding the AGENTS VTMs? I have the OpenGL red book for example and the 'C++ Programming Language' as well as the 'Effective C++' books.

Hey,

Will Agent take advantage of OpenGL 3.0
    Last edited by Project Nova; 07-04-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Nova View Post
    Hey,

Will Agent take advantage of OpenGL 3.0
    Seeing how OpenGL 2.1 is the latest specification released I'm not sure how that would be too feasible, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by owensd; 07-04-2007 at 05:21 PM.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    Heh, you don't think you could get through all that content over the weekend?
    lol, not unless you watch about 10 videos at once through the whole weekend.

The estimated times bring the whole project just one hour short of 19 days ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Wren Akula View Post
    lol, not unless you watch about 10 videos at once through the whole weekend.

The estimated times bring the whole project just one hour short of 19 days ! ! !
    What... you saying you can't multi-task?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Nope. My brain is Hyper-Threaded, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cgtalker View Post
    MAKING OUR OWN RAYTRACE RENDERER WOULD BE THE BEST THING SINCE SLICE BREAD...NO....PIE
    Writing a raytracing renderer is not ultra hard. The concepts involved are quite old and very well published. Things start to get tricky with some of the math involved, and they can be hard to debug (ie - the only real output you get apart from a bunch of floats is a black image, hmm something is wrong). Things also start to get hard when you get into advanced features, such as area lighting, global illumination, optimisation, nurbs etc.

For example, here are a couple of pics from a renderer I wrote for a uni assignment last year. It is kindof basic, but shows the concepts involved:

Refraction test
    Chessboard
    Last edited by mr_charisma; 07-05-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Those are nice renders mr_charisma, got to make you feel good to be able to write code to generate an image like that.

Yeah its nice, especially when you go from a black image with nothing working to getting a nice 3D picture. More satisfying than some other assignments

Thats true mr_charisma. Many people get so exited when they start to code and things begin to make sence - becuse they think with a little direction or tutorial they can make the next half life 2. Yet the math required to be able to understand this stuff is not somthing you can truly solidify your knowlage in in a VTM, book or course for that matter. The math requried takes a long time to understand. Even if you understand the code just fine - you may still have no clue about how to code somthing like a ray tracer. A VTM wont teach you all the math (unless this VTM is somthing extreamly special. which it is; but i still doubt it can compact 4+ years of mathmatics training/epxerence into it).

Dispite that, these VTMs still look interesting... Considering the quality of the other VTMs; I have no doubt that this will be any less...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast