Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Wow! This is really getting off topic. Is it me, or are there others out there that when they read Nelson's post, think he should be typing in all CAPS.

you often make some good points, but I hae to weigh in on owensd, and ffejnosliw. I think in a many fields there is a blur between science and art. An example specificly in programming would be any assignment in any programming class. Now, it programming was truely a science, everyone would turn in the same solution. The fact that even for the most mundane exercises there are differences from one solution to the next implies that there are not set rules as to how it should be done. One solution could be written for clarity and another written for speed. A great deal more solutions could have varying amounts of both those qualities.

A good example of this is percent20's challenge Screwy Coding Challenge #3. In this thread you can witness a good number of solutions to the same problem.

The only (well, kindof) problem I have here is the line in the ground, black or white perception that you (Nelson) have, that computer programming is science. And so for today's sermon, we will be reading from Wikipedia.

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and structures. A wider definition often includes within its scope the design of the total built environment: from the macrolevel of town planning, urban design, and landscape architecture to the microlevel of creating furniture.
    And so it came to pass, that something can in fact be both a science and an art. This ultra narrow minded vision of computer science (oh. my. god - he just said science) that you are projecting onto the forum is really quite ignorant.

What is more alarming is you seem to think that you can classify people in the same way. I mean, I have a pretty solid understanding of computer science. Shock Horror! I play the drums. I also do a bit of 3D. How do I manage to function in such a way, with all my merging of purposes and such?

This is life. Clear cut rules are few and far between.

"You're either with us, or you're with the terro... designers"

Well thanks for all the help. I certainly did not expect this discussion go into a debate about science and art. It seem that even tho C# is easier, C++ is still the best choice for coding the game engine. The the performance loss in C# in not much, I still rather get that little extra from C++. There might come a point where managed code is just as fast or faster than native code but that time is not now. I think we will use C# for the development of the engine tools, i'd like to do that just to getting into the C# language to see for myself what it can really do.

Thanks for all your input.

Remember that with C# you have the .NET framework, and for games also XNA. I think they need no mention at all.

With C++ you actually have tons of already completed projects which are open source, and on top of that you'll also find the SC++L and boost libraries being there for you to use. Using C++ doesn't need to equal reinventing the wheel over and over again. In boost there are smart pointers which will help you with memory leaks, there are functions binders, algorithms, any-type-objects to use instead of unions, signal/slots etc. And also quite important you have a standard way of doing certain things which will help any programmer who knows boost read your code. It is really worth a look if you choose C++. Also the C++ revision board is likely to include some of the functionaly to from boost into SC++L.

Well, enough advertising. I just really think that people seem to love C# because of the ease of programming - and really, there is no reason not to. But you do not really have to reinvent the wheel all the time in C++.

- rev'en
    I didn't mean to do it.

"You're either with us, or you're with the terro... designers"

hahaha, I love it

/me avoids eating the popcorn jellybean.

There's something up with those things. Especially after a cherry or cinnamon. They should come with a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zecster View Post
    Well thanks for all the help. I certainly did not expect this discussion go into a debate about science and art. It seem that even tho C# is easier, C++ is still the best choice for coding the game engine. The the performance loss in C# in not much, I still rather get that little extra from C++. There might come a point where managed code is just as fast or faster than native code but that time is not now. I think we will use C# for the development of the engine tools, i'd like to do that just to getting into the C# language to see for myself what it can really do.

Thanks for all your input.
    Um, C# is as fast and can be faster than C++ now.

Now to weigh in on everything else going on in the thread.

honestly the biggest issue is Nelson trying to define perfectly what something is. While I generally agree and like to do that because I hate relativism, as it seems nelson does, in this Society it is inescapable is it is ingrained into people's personalities now.

However, Nelson took what programmers like to an extreme. Programmers can have interests that are not universal and not relative but based on a spectrum of interests.

For example, there are many aspects to programing from kernel, data, netwokring, grpahics, and web. These are all int he specturm of programming and people tend to zero in on a few key things they enjoy more. Now, that does not mean that there arne't a lot of similarties, but that does mean that some don't need to know what others do.

For example, to the above example, to do web programming I don't need to know how to write networking code and to do graphics code I don't need to know how a processor works, seriously.

Now, I don't care how hardware works at all i have no interest in it and probably never will except to overclock my computer and I usually get my friends to help me with that. I do, though, love to program and am passionate about it and spend A LOT of time coding. heck even have a job and a development firm because I like it so much, but I still don't know how to a processor works and am still effective.

As for defnitions of words eh doesn't really matter because of relativism.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Quote Originally Posted by percent20 View Post
    As for defnitions of words eh doesn't really matter because of relativism.
    Actually, definitions of words to change and it's not due to relativism; it's do to social groups. The meaning of a word is considered the 'definition' when a group of people agree on the meaning.

Here's an online source for the etymology of various words: http://www.etymonline.com/

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    Actually, definitions of words to change and it's not due to relativism; it's do to social groups. The meaning of a word is considered the 'definition' when a group of people agree on the meaning.

Here's an online source for the etymology of various words: http://www.etymonline.com/
    Yeah, but realtivism is a contributing factor.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Quote Originally Posted by percent20 View Post
    Um, C# is as fast and can be faster than C++ now.
    If you are saying that C# can best faster than C++ and everyone agrees that it is "safer" and easier to code, then why would someone use C++ unless they were bend on the point that they don't want to use C++. Do C++ offer something that C# does not?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast