Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Then you hear wrong. Way wrong..

My $0.02 worth:

1. There are no silver bullets in software development

2. It is highly likely the skills you learn from programming in C++ can be transferred to C# and vice-versa - so the choice is far less important than you may believe

3. The algorithms you choose to optimize will determine the speed of your game more than the language choice.

4. Don't fall into the trap of premature optimization.

5. It is more important that your game doesn't crash than for it to run fast

6. Bill Gates has donated 56% of his wealth to charity
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    To make a game without thinking of the computer as a big scary black box, to know the difference between EP and ESP
    What the heck is EP and ESP?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    I think they're words used by the Swagap tribe of papua new guinea.
    Last edited by Toastage; 05-08-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastage View Post
    I think C++/C# is good and all but you're all really overlooking the main point of this whole situation. It reminds me of a time once when some classmates and I were sitting in the cafeteria eating lunch and chatting away. Then all of a sudden someone started sliding m&ms across the table.

You're so wrong in so many different ways I can't even count that high on 2 fingers. If you're looking to code games try actionscript. It's crazy powerful and you can code pretty much anything in it. I hear they used it as their main language in Unreal Engine 3.
    What? OK, first, if you wish to make the statement that I am incorect on a public fourm, provide evedence of my incorectness instead of just how wrong I am Now I am getting the feeling that the automatic response to my posts by the members here should be to degrade them in any way possable

What is the point of the whole disussion?

And one more thing, I don't think you understood what I said. It boils down to A) being an artist or B) being a scientist. Programing is a science. I proved this way back when, and I don't feel like doing that again, but I will say that programing is figuring out how do things the best way. Best, of course, is relative to the domain of the app you are programing. Being a game designer is an artist's job. They don't give a rats ass about how things get done, but they have a passion to design things like stories, and do art, excettea. XNA is advertised as a 'merger' of science and art. I will never think that big real-world commerical games will be ever programed by people who do not have a passion in programing. The job of an artist and a programer may blur, but they will never merge. XNA, dispite how well it abstracts out things to make redundent code non-existent, will never be the bridge between design and development. That is all I am saying in my posts.

Flash was an attempt to merge design and development, and it worked. However, 2-d flash apps are not fully-developed 3d commerical games, so although it's victory was importent, it did nothing to prove that design and development can be merged at the scale of 3d games. Yes, 3D games were made with Flash, but those were made by TEAMS and with acual programers who had the passion of writing code. I do not know why you say that actionscipt is powerfull. Have you ever programed in C++, or even C#? From what I hear, ActionScript is much like JavaScript (and that is one language I am quite fluent in).

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    Wooops, now I feel dumb
    I ment the IP and ESP register. IP is the instruction pointer, and the ESP is the stack pointer. Both, in my opinion, are the two most importent registers in the processor as they virtually hold all the state information required to execute a program.

Thanks for pointing out that typo :P

I think they're words used by the Swagap tribe of papua new guinea.
    Actually, EP is extended play for vinyl records and ESP is 'extra-sensory-perception'. Good 'ol google to the rescue!!

Quote Originally Posted by <>
    Wooops, now I feel dumb
    I ment the IP and ESP register. IP is the instruction pointer, and the ESP is the stack pointer. Both, in my opinion, are the two most importent registers in the processor as they virtually hold all the state information required to execute a program.

Thanks for pointing out that typo :P
    You know... in all my years of programming I've only EVER used registers ONCE in my life... and that was a school assignment.
    Last edited by owensd; 05-08-2007 at 01:15 AM.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Have you ever tried coding JellyBean++? It's far superior to C++ and C#. It gives artists the ability to have code generated automatically which means they dont actually have to learn it, it's such a timesaver. It's super powerful too, you can even use it to display 3d models.

Have you ever tried coding JellyBean++? It's far superior to C++ and C#. It gives artists the ability to have code generated automatically which means they dont actually have to learn it, it's such a timesaver. It's super powerful too, you can even use it to display 3d models.
    I am attempting to figure out if you are joking or not, as you seem to have quite a twisted sence of humor... Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    XNA is advertised as a 'merger' of science and art.
    Source please...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast