#pragma once vs #ifndef...

I have been working through all the VTM's and such and now I'm starting to make mine own little games and I was wondering what the difference is between using #pragma once or useing #ifndef...#define....#endif which is what they use in the VTMs? I know it may be simple but I was just wondering.

#pragame statments are compiler-spacific. I belive that #pargma once only works on VC++. However, #pragma once is faster then the #define method, becuse VC++ dosn't even look into the file, saving times on massive builds.

I would suggest using the #define method. If you end up writing software that is hundreds of header files big, then it is simple to write a small script that adds #pragma once to all the files, but untill then, it's better to use #define for compatibility...

That makes sense. Thanks for the information.

FYI, #pragma once is deemed to be 'obsolete' by gcc but supported.

Also, gcc actually has some performance improvements around #ifndef that I don't believe the MS C++ compiler has. So your compile time may vary depending on the compiler you use and if you optimize for compatibility vs. compiler specific features.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

I believe #pragma has been declared deprected by the GCC.

lol, jynx!

Quote Originally Posted by Seifsta
    lol, jynx!
    Hehe... no way, my timestamp is a minute before you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook