Great new (for me anyway)

Hey all, sorry bout this post but im rather happy about this, prob not a big deal to most of u but i finally got the money for the dvds i wanted, those being, maya fundamentals and advanced modeling, and max fundamentals, all i gotta do now is wait for the money to go into my paypal and then the order will be made straight away, only to b told tht its refused by the shop as usual lol.

I cant wait i really cant, the real choice i have to make is which one to start first, think ill do the max fundamentals first as this is my weakest software.

Again sorry but hey im happy i can finally order the dvds soon, well as soon as paypal gets off there a**'s and gives me my money lol

Congratulations, that's awesome!

I've got the "3ds max: The 'Fundamentals' " DVD's, so I know they are well worth it. As for MM:AM....modeling is my #1 favorite thing to do in any 3D app...I envy you.

I really can't wait to see if they come out with an advanced modeling class for 3ds max.

Good luck getting through all that though. What is it, something like 290 hours altogether?

Kind of a dumb question, but do you need to be an artistic person to be a good modeler ?

I for one, suck when it comes to drawing stuff, but I'd like to get the 3dStudioMax Fundementals DVD. Would I have any problems?

I don't do any 3d modeling but I think it's usually done with reference pictures. You get a front, back, left, and right reference picture. Then you kinda trace around the reference with blocked objects. Of course it goes into more details, but I get the feeling if you can trace, you can do "ok" with 3d modeling. Having artistic abilities definitely help, but I think anyone can do it. You'll get much better with practice for sure, so if you decide to do it, make sure you keep at it.
    "You have to be 10% smarter than the item you're trying to operate."

No you do not have to be able to draw. It helps if you can, because then if you are working on a concept from your head you can get it down on paper to use for references. But no, you don't have to be able to draw, or even be overly artistic to be able to model.

Quote Originally Posted by Adryan
    Kind of a dumb question, but do you need to be an artistic person to be a good modeler ?

I for one, suck when it comes to drawing stuff, but I'd like to get the 3dStudioMax Fundementals DVD. Would I have any problems?

[/Begin Yoda mode]

Oh man I’m really starting to find this question annoying

Being an artist has nothing to do with being good.

To be able to call your self an artist you have to at least surrender the idea of what is good and what is bad and let others decided for themselves. I’m not the worlds greatest modeller but at my level I don’t have to be and all I’m looking for is what makes me happy.

Guys stop looking for good, bad or perfect because you will never find it. It doesn’t exist.

[/end Yoda mode]

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie V
    Guys stop looking for good, bad or perfect because you will never find it. It doesn’t exist.
    It does, just not in art
    "You have to be 10% smarter than the item you're trying to operate."

i've seen so many great 3d models created by people whose traditional drawings would make you laugh out loud even if they were standing right next to you showing you their drawings..it never ceases to amaze me.

i dunno what the above indicates or what it means as it pertains to your question.. or if it helps answer your question one way or another.. but like frankiev said.. it's a question of a philosophical nature.. and can't really be given a definitive yes/no answer.

the only way to find out.. is to.. well. find out.

Quote Originally Posted by RamboMadCow
    It does, just not in art
    Oh God thats so true....So true..

At least thats what my X-wife would have me believe