Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New!

New!

Hi all,
    I'm new here, let me introduce you to my web site.
    http://digilander.iol.it/dmzone
    Diego

Nice site. Just a couple design hints to strengthen your presentation.

1) A lot of people (including myself) do not like sites that go full-screen unless we can click on a link that requests that type of presentation. I often browse while working on something else. Going full-screen unannounced just took my destktop away. Normally, I would close the window and never return to such a site. It's a double blow when the full screen window is not even used in the main presentation. That's a pop-up.

2) Try to minimize the number of windows you use to present information. By the time I navigate to and click on a portfolio sample, there are often three windows open. Add half a dozen application windows already on my desktop and it really gets out of hand. Try to keep it to two at most.

3) Lose the sound fx on mouseover.

good luck with the site
    2112 FX :: RELOADED :: www.2112fx.com

Thank you.
    Diego

No prob - keep up the good work
    2112 FX :: RELOADED :: www.2112fx.com

Wink looks nice

Hi Diego,

I like well your website, nice idea.
    I finished my own yesterday.

Cath http://www.mecom4d.com

Thanx for you time, Cath!
    Diego

I don't use Flash and thus couldn't access your site due to the lack of a non-flash page. Flash-only sites (that use popups and/or change the browser chrome) are flawed IMO.

Smile

jamesj,
    as you can see, in first page there are the necessary links to download the players required to use my site. If you don't want to install the Flash player, well, it's your (limitative) choice.
    Thanx for your time!
    Diego

Originally posted by Diego
    as you can see, in first page there are the necessary links to download the players required to use my site.
    I happen to have the player installed already, but have deliberately chosen to turn it off because the pay-off from having Flash enabled was way too small for me. The problem with Flash, IMO, is that it's only used for useless eye-candy and/or annoying ads that speak to you. I have yet to see a truely useful Flash site. You are, of course, more than welcome to prove me wrong.

You risk alienating a potentially large amount of people if you don't provide a plain HTML version of your site also. A lot of people prefer function over form and just want information. If they are greeted with a 700KB splash screen in Flash, they'll most likely just shrug, hit the back-button and find another site.

Diego,

Although I don't necessarily agree with everything jamesj said, I do agree that the Flash anim in the background of the popup screen does take ages to load, even on a broadband connection.

I also thought the site was quite small and unreadable. I run at 1152 x 864, and I couldn't read the navigation very well.

Failing that, very nice site... you may want to read on...

jamesj,

You're entitled to your opinion, but offering an HTML alternative, though a good idea, can be time-consuming. Also, the stats for the percentage of browsers with the Flash player installed is in the high 90's, so alienating people is going to be fairly difficult!

At the end of the day, it boils down to who your intended audience is. If you intend to reach absolutely everyone, then, yes, you will have an HTML, a Flash and a plain text version of your site with only web-safe colours, running at 640x480 and in every language out there. It will also run on all IE versions, Netscape versions and Opera, etc.

I don't think Diego is trying to reach everyone, but he might want to sit back and think about who he is trying to reach and tailor his site accordingly...?

Cheers
    cell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast