Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long does it take?

Just getting into this modeling/animation stuff. Happened to catch a show on Tech-tv that shows computer animated short films (Eyedrops, if you have the chance, watch it). The first film was "Bingo" by Chris Landreth... (if you haven't seen it, check it out here: http://www.mayamasters.com/portfolio..._frameset.html)

I was very impressed with this. I was wondering how long something like this takes. I can only imagine hours upon hours sitting in front of the computer.

NCPar8hd

it takes many month for a team to do a production ready short. the process of modelling -> texture -> animation -> debug...etc.. goes on.... its very time-consuming.

But that time passes by so fast (most of the time ^_^)...
    If you had that feeling, then 3d modelling is for you.

:-D

Wink My thoughts exactly.

I was actually thinking about asking a very similar question when I got on tonight. Thanks for getting the question out there.

Troubl is that in most 3D work the modeling, texturing and animation together take a fraction of the time that the rendering take to complete.

but remember that those guys have fast workstations........ they won't worry a lot about rendering..............

I think bingo is a special case anyway. It was initially created as a "see what our program can do" animatin it ink. Also, they actually got a heap of actors in to act out the whole thing first. As far as time wise goes, that made it even longer but they got some invaluable reference materia out of it.

Psiclone, i don't agree with you comment about rendering being the longest part. For a major production it is a long stage but no where near as long as the actual animation. This is the stage the most work gets put into. If they don't pull this off they have nothing.

yeah... but not everyone has a render farm with 1000 machines... so .. for personal projects.. the rendering does take longer sometimes..

Bingo is taken from a short play called "Disregard This Play" and "Too Much Light makes the Baby go Blind". They are strange plays, many of them hard to understand, or have strange endings.

It was made with Maya 1 according to the credits, and the only company listed is Maya in Toronto. Since they made the program, I think they could have lowered the work times.

Textures didn't look to complicated, except for the people's faces. I could be wrong though. Animation of course looks complicated because it was heraled as THE Animation program.
    http://www.vfxpro.com/article/mainv/...104469,00.html
    http://www.siggraph.org/s98/live/fri.../SIGbeats.html

"I couldn't begin to count the zeroes in the hours we spent on this project," echoes Dave Baas.

Arrow

Rendering isn´t really the longest part. It depends much. Like always.
    The big companies, and almost everybody, myself included render their scenes at night, when they don´t need the computers.

But to come back to the question of NCPar8hd.

I´m not sure what you mean. How much time it takes to become as good as the maker of bingo?
    If you don´t have experience in 3d or animation yet, you have to spend some years to get nearly as good. But there´s no real rule for that. Some are very quick learners and only need a short time with their program to create stunning results. And some will never be able to reach the level of the bingo creator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast