Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

READ THIS IF: Maya crashes, slows down or manipulator won't work

Questions:
    Why does Maya crash all the time when I hit the spacebar?
    Why does Maya slow down when I zoom in my viewports?
    Why does the alpha gain for my image plane not work?
    Why does my image plane scale when I zoom in?
    What is wrong with my transformation tools, they don't seem to work?
    I heard image planes suck, isn't there a better way to do it?
    Why does my viewport look strange, textures are warped, meshes aren't displayed correctly?

Answers to all these question:
    Maya seems to have enormous problems when working with image planes due to communication errors between the application and your graphics card. If you have an ATI card you will most likely have experienced the alpha gain and weird scale problem.
    There are several solutions to this problem, not all might work for you.

Option 1:
    Right-click on My Computer->Properties->Advanced
    Click on "Environment Variables" and choose new in "System Variables"
    Add MAYA_SLOW_DRAWPIXELS in the name and 1 in the value.
    Add MAYA_NON_POWER_TWO_OFF in the name and 1 in the value.

Option 2 (alternative to Option1):
    open maya.env and add the following lines
    MAYA_SLOW_DRAWPIXELS = 1;
    MAYA_NON_POWER_TWO_OFF = 1;

Option 3:
    Change the color quality of your monitor to 32 bit (highest).
    Right-click on your desktop, choose properties, go to the settings tab, and under color quality pick highest.

Option 4:
    Don't use the standard ortographic cameras for your viewports, use custom cameras instead. Here is a link that tells you how to do it and also has a MEL script for lazy people (Thanks to dezfx for the mel script):

EDIT: Link has been fixed.
    http://www.dezfx.com/HTML_pages/Tuto...aneCamera.html

Option 5:
    Don't use image planes at all. All they do is cause you trouble, headaches and frustration. Alternatively you can use polygon planes with textures on them. Here is a tutorial that tells you how to do it:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=145927

If you still want to have control over alpha gain you can use animation for the texture which holds your image plane. Key frame the transparency node in the attribute editor of your texture. Set your range slider to three and change the transparency for frame 0 to zero, frame 1 to 50 percent, frame 2 to 75 percent, and frame 3 to 100 percent.
    Now, before you start complaining that you would also like to work in wireframe mode with the texture still visible here is the solution:
    Go to the attribute editor of your objects texture and key frame its transparency node as well, only this time you work in the opposite direction. That way, on frame 0 you will only see the image plane and wireframes of your object.
    To make things even easier you can also use hotkeys to switch between the frames: Use ALT + . (Period that is) and ALt + , (comma that is) to go back and forth one frame.

Option 6 (If you do have an ATI card):
    Go to you ATI Control Center (or whatever you have to change your settings) and go to the advanced settings for 3d and change AA and and AF to "Let application decide"

Option 7 (If you still prefer Image Planes):
    I have no proof for this but supposedly Maya doesn't like images with odd Pixel ratios. Try to keep your pixel ratios to the power of two, like 512 x 512, 1024 x 1024 etc.

Option 8 (only concerning the Spacebar bug):
    You might have noticed that Maya crashes or on faster machines dramaticly slows down after you have hit the spacebar. I have noticed that this only seems to happen when you switch between the four panel and the single panel view. Now, you could simply stop using either the four or the single panel view alltogether, but here is a trick to avoid the bug:
    When you switch between the views make sure that you are always in Object mode and don't have any pick mask activated (hence Vertices, Edges, Faces etc.). You can simply press the F8 button to toggle between* Pick Mask and Object mode. This should get around the problem.

Option 9 (Not very clean, but works for slower machines)
    If the spacebar bug has been repeatedly bugging you regardless of having followed all of the above try do this (I use this trick for my lap top, because I got tired of restarting Maya every 20 minutes):
    If everything has come to grinding halt hit the spacebar to get into the four panel view and hover your mouse over the middle of the screen until you see the tiny four sided arrowhead. You can drag the cursor to resize your window panes. Choose the view you want to work with and expand it something close to fill up the entire screen. When your world locator turns black again, you know you have gone to far (the black arrow indicates that everything is going to be slow again).
    As long as you stay away from hitting the spacebar again you should be fine for now.

NEW UPDATE
    Do you have an Nvidia Graphics Card (GeForce or Quadro Series) and experience one of the following problems?

• Sluggish Marking Menus
    • Blank Viewports
    • Slow Display Updates
    • Hypershade slowing down

The problem lies within the new Forceware Drivers. You need to download an older driver; I would suggest getting the 84.26 Driver. You can get an edited version (which fixes capability issues) from 3dGurus at http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1367
    For more information read the following discussions at CGTalk:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...=128410&page=1
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=513017

If you have anything to add to this just pm me and I'll update this thread.

Cheers,
    Julian
    Last edited by Count_Zero; 03-07-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress."

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

I just wish i've read this post when dealing with ATI consumer cards for the first time, I had all the problems listed above, so my solution was to switch to NVIDIA
    And a question Does those problems occur also in Linux/ATI configuration?
    Anyway this is great post, Thanx a lot

my model from maya does not go to motion builder 7.5

can somebody help me please.?
    i have made model in maya 8 and put skeleton as motion builder convention and also skin them perfectly but still only root or hips goes to motion builder.
    i am pretty frustrated.
    i have spend days and not getting result.
    any idea please.
    thank you

Poly planes are also easier to scale...

Ive been working from a Nvidia GeForce card, and an AMD 1900+ working at 1.6 Ghz, and if I have more than one window open, it seems to lag in the viewports.

sometimes you feel like a moron

you know, i was starting to panic about the space bar bug. i did everything that you suggested with no luck. then i remembered the IT guy's creed: "always check the dumbest thing first."
    i downloaded the updates and drivers for my ati fire gl v7200. problem solved.

so those of you out there that didn't think of that, give it a try.

I just updated the thread for those people who have experienced problems with NVidia Graphic Cards.

Cheers,

Julian

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

well what about manipulators ? after I hit extrude, that little icon disappears and I have to press W or smth to regain partial access ...

how to solve that ? I reset maya's preferences but I sooo need to use my older profile ... but the manipulators when extruding don't work !

any idea how to fix that ?
    thanks.

What version of Maya You use? and it can also be due to graphic card, i had similar problem with ATI radeon x800pro.

well I'm really really new to maya
    I have a nasty problem though. My move rotate and scale tool does something very weird. it's way of screen i can sometimes see the edges when i'm zoomed in (or actually move in close with the dolly tool) wich basicly renders them useles
    I've been trying to do some tutorials but it's nearly impossible and takes ages cuz i need to move the camera in weird positions to use those tools but often i can't see the selected objects from those angles.
    ow i have maya 2008 btw

Can you post some screenshots?
    Have you tried Modify->Center Pivot?
    If your manipulator is too large you can adjust its size with the + and - button on your numpad.

My Portfolio
    My Tutorials

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast