Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$200 used digital cameras advice

I'm in need of a new digi for some 'work' I've got shooting tall buildings in England. Anyone that knows the place will be aware that the light is aweful and the weather drizzly! Mostly. Urban planning is pretty haphazard here (what's a block system again??) so my problem is, that to get a decent shot I have to stand on a high point far away just to clear the other buildings. So, decent optical zoom and lense quality is a must. Res is almost as important. Display size is not important but I would like one. I'm looking to get it on ebay. I think that's all the imporant stuff said, I'd be really glad of any advice, I'm pretty out of touch with digis.

A Canon PowerShot A95 goes for about $200 on ebay in the UK. My first impressions are this is a good one to go for. HELP PLEASE!
    Last edited by Comdot; 02-07-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: general stupidity and carelessness

... the A95 seems maybe a bit casual and gimmicky, with the silver look and swizzling screen.... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/

In my great wisdom I think something like the Canon PowerShot S3 might be more suitable. $200 just became $400. Anyone got one of these? Do you love it or does it pain you that you didn't go for something else??

et voila

Is anyone familiar with the Canon range? I'm slowly getting through a review of this one from dpreview.com. It sounds like this is a compact (and thus more expensive per features?) class of camera- are there larger, cheaper alternatives?

Compact just means it is not an SLR it doesn't necessarily mean they have tried to micro size it and chucked features out. The S3 will be a fair bit bigger than the A95.

I had a Canon A70 for years, (only just upgraded at christmas), and it did me proud and its only a 3 mega pixel. The A95 is obviously the successor, and will be a great camera for that price range. Obviously the S3 will be better, but it is more expensive, so it is up to you really.

If you want to see what my A70 can do with only 3MP you can go here:
    http://www.liquidhelium.net/php-cgi/gallery/index.php

I remember your Africa shots, the image quality is good. I didn't see all the amazing ones though, there are so many more. I like the uni ones and Bowland... I think my cousin is going to Hull this year.

Well, I've had a look around at Canon so far... wish I could have a cheap EOS digi as there are so many cheap used EOS lenses floating around. Oh well. I understand the S3 has a fixed lens and can't be changed? Thanks for the info on SLR.

I think I could settle with the S2 predecessor. One just went on ebay for about £140. I could go for a non Canon substitute too.

Aint that some ...

I just went to a local camera shop, they didn't have the S3 but had the EOS 350D... I'm so tempted. £400 though. With a little practice, I'm sure I'd be able to make good use of the EOS lenses. Aghhh too much money!!!

Anyone here had any luck using a film camera EOS lens on a digital? The guy in the shop said it probably wouldn't work and I'd certainly look my autofocus and other things. That's the clincher, if I can use old EOS lenses I might push the bracket up a bit, otherwise I'm liking the S3, S2.

As for the A540, it's amazing what you can get now for the price. That costs less than my 'I.T. Works' IT Shot 2070 2mp without zoom that I bought in 2003.

Well now I'm thinking of the Kodak EasyShare Z650 at US $310 UK £190. I read the dpreview.com review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz650/ it's possibly good value. Anyone got an impression on this one? Possibly a few too many cons to be good value...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast