Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-empting ut2007 with Roboblitz

ok I'd like to try pre-empting ut2007 by using roboblitz to help set up our texture sets and static meshes, does anyone know if the file formats will be the same for both games
    eg: if i make a texture package in roboblitz do you think it will work in ut2007
    the same for the staticmeshes
    UT40K - Warhammer 40,000 for UT2004
    Download ut40k_Beta7 here.
    UT40K - UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons -Vehicles

Totally a guess (since my video card wont support UnrealEngine3 or RoboBlitz ), but some, or most, assets should work.

I base this WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) on others' comments that there are Gears of War assets hidden in the libraries. While the engine and editor are customized for RoboBlitz (apparently the biggest or most notable changes are in physics-engine handling and pre-process frame rendering), I can't imagine that core types (textures, meshes, etc) are significantly altered...that would change the purpose of using a pre-built framework At most, I would think that such types are extended from core types.
    DocHogan

-------------
    Andrew- Illusions against a burninator? Silly, silly British man.
    Amanda- I put a time flux on Trogdor
    Andrew- Step down, girlfriend! You can't just-
    Amanda- Ninth level sorcerer, AND I carry the Emerald Chalice. Trogdor is frozen in time. Deal with it.
    Xander- Smack-down on Red Riding Hood. This could get ugly.
    Giles- How could it possibly get any uglier? I used to be a highly respected Watcher. Now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily.

Hi,

yeah ive got it and it allows you to import the same files as Unreal Engine 2 did, just a few more file types than before.

I suggest you get it as soon as your graphics card supports it!
    My Portfolio

Error: The operation completed successfully.

A good test would be to see if the texture packs can be imported into Rainbow Six Vegas's Editor, which is coming out in about 2 weeks.

heh... my instinctive urge to post something nasty are at their limits writing this, so I'll make it as brief as possible.

It might.
    It might not, who cares, the base elements are always transferable. And why oh why would anyone care about a 1 minute conversion process on 5+ months of work.

Edit: To be a bit more informative, file convention will be similar, much in the same way it's mostly unchanged between all unreal builds, internal file handling will also most likely be about the same, and compressions will most likely be the same. As for stuff like additive technology in say, composite materials and stuff, that may or may not be compatible between games, either way it's a 3 second process to redo the thing.

Blah, k, I'll leave it there lol. *twitches* Quick someone ask about creating a standalone exe!! =p
    Last edited by Ripshaft; 11-26-2006 at 06:46 PM.
    Ripshaft - Software Engineer with professional Post Production experience and enough experience with enough game engines to kill a mule.... and believe me, that's not easy, try it sometime. Not really working towards a future in game design anymore, but it might be nice I guess.

Quality/Esoteric UT(2) content development relevant Links:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/WebHome (go here first)
    http://phalanx.planetunreal.gamespy.com/tutorials.htm
    http://www.hazelwhorley.com/tutorials/

Ripshaft is correct. The actual making of a package is trivial compared to everything else. Even if it is not possible so what? Just have everything ready to go and spend an hour or two putting them together once UT2K7 is out.
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

the reason i asked is as we all know the UE3 engine supports things like normal mapping, yes if i was doing just 1 or 2 textures then i wouldn't have bothered asking but since our mod uses 4 large texture sets (ca 70+ textures per set) building a texture package will take more than a few minutes.

if you don't having anything nice to say then don't say anything "Thumper"

Ok I can understand that.
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

thanks, btw from what i've read else where i'll have to upgrade my computer first so i'll spend the time in planning and preperation inbetween working on beta 6

If you are considering buying RoboBlitz, make sure you're running Windows XP sp2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast